cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Randomly occurring high ping in multiplayer games.

Isometric

Randomly occurring high ping in multiplayer games.

Hello.
I'd just like to find out whether this is a plus net problem or my problem. This has only just started happening recently since plus net said they were going to upgrade people for free. I can play for ages with a normal ping (about 30 to 60) and then suddenly my ping shoots up to 300 / 400 + for no reason. I have a very capable pc and my connection is usually perfect. This happens for all the games I play, it's not a specific one.
If someone was connected through the wireless connection and downloading stuff effect this? I'm connected via ethernet straight from the modem into my pc. Maybe it has to do with this free upgrade plus net offered to all their customers free of charge? My connection was flawless till I recieved an email saying in five weeks they would upgrade, which actually hasn't changed the speed at all.
So if anyone could help me out I would appreciate it. I'm willing to do tests etc. Cheers.
7 REPLIES 7
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Randomly occurring high ping in multiplayer games.

HI Isometric  You are not alone with this problem  Sad
which router are you using ?
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Isometric

Quote from: rongtw
HI Isometric  You are not alone with this problem  Sad
which router are you using ?

It's a Thompson model, TG585 V7 model to be exact. Maybe getting a new modem would help. This thing is old and was already here when I moved into my current house.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Isometric,
The connection doesn't seem too bad but today it's dropped a few times, possibly a sign of a router issue. Do you have another router you can try?
Jojo Smiley
Isometric

It's such a strange fluctuation, perfectly fine one minute and then it goes up in the hundreds. Restarting the modem seems to fix it for a little while. The high latency started happening around 5pm today. My parents have a modem I could pinch, so i'll test it out with that in a few days.
jim:quote
Isometric

It seems I have fixed my problems by changing my connection settings. No longer does my latency go up and down, it's now a constant 30.
Mathias
Grafter

Out of interest what settings did you change?
Isometric

Quote from: Mathias
Out of interest what settings did you change?

I reset my modem to factory settings and then changed the connection type to a more closed security instead of being open. Some games don't think this is a good idea but it seems to have worked.