cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quake Wars: disconnection at peak/busy times?

optimus
Grafter

Quake Wars: disconnection at peak/busy times?

I am on the Broadband Plus Up to 8mb service.
I've noticed that while playing Quake Wars at peak or usually busy times (post 4pm or Sundays) I get disconnected from my server during map change.
After one map's completion the next begins to load and then after I get 100% of 'Spawning Entities' the game seems to freeze and then boots me back to the main menu screen with a 'Disconnected from server' message. While this is happening my connection to my clan's teamspeak server also begins to break up (although is not lost) but returns to normal once i have been booted back to the main menu on the game.
Yesterday (Saturday) I was playing fine without any disconnections at all and on servers where I get disconnected at other times so I am assuming the game is not at fault and there mnust be something happening on the network traffic at those times.
Can someon from PN please advise on this issue, getting kicked between rounds is very frustrating...
Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
wolverine
Dabbler

Re: Quake Wars: disconnection at peak/busy times?

Quote from: optimus
I am on the Broadband Plus Up to 8mb service.
I've noticed that while playing Quake Wars at peak or usually busy times (post 4pm or Sundays) I get disconnected from my server during map change.
After one map's completion the next begins to load and then after I get 100% of 'Spawning Entities' the game seems to freeze and then boots me back to the main menu screen with a 'Disconnected from server' message. While this is happening my connection to my clan's teamspeak server also begins to break up (although is not lost) but returns to normal once i have been booted back to the main menu on the game.
Yesterday (Saturday) I was playing fine without any disconnections at all and on servers where I get disconnected at other times so I am assuming the game is not at fault and there mnust be something happening on the network traffic at those times.
Can someon from PN please advise on this issue, getting kicked between rounds is very frustrating...
Thanks.

To be fully honest with you, the Broadband Plus account is designed primarily for Web surfing and e-mailing, it has a low priority for games and other protocols.
I would suggest that you take a look at our Broadband Your Way option 2 account on the link below,
Link
Basically more features for the same cost!!!
I hope this helps.
optimus
Grafter

I have never had this issue with any other game before on my current option...
But I will change to BBYW Option 2 and see if the situation improves...
Thanks Mike
James
Grafter

Hi there,
In all honesty, there shouldn't be a problem with Gaming on either Broadband Plus, or your new Option 2 product, assuming you were within your usage allowances, which you were.
In cases like this, it's always best to run a Wireshark Capture to determine whether or not the traffic is being handled properly.
Let us know how you get on.
optimus
Grafter

Thank you James, as I previously said I never had this problem before with any other game and this seems to only happen at certain times...
Thing is I am a little annoyed now as I changed my product yesterday on Mike's advice (in the hope this would quickly resolve this problem) and although the Option 2 product is better in some ways it does have a different 'peak time' to my old Plus one (8am-12am as opposed to 4pm-12am) which means I am liable to get much more useage nearer to my 8gb cap (as I would usually schedule any large downloads before 4pm like a good user). Am I right in that I now cannot change back to the old Plus product as this is defunct?
As I only receieved an email notifying me of the change yestreday I have not had a chance to note if the problem continues now I'm on Option 2. However if the problem occurs I will be very unhappy at being advised to change my product unncessarily.  Angry
James
Grafter

Hi there,
If you could raise a ticket requesting to have your product changed back, then I would be more than happy to do this for you.
optimus
Grafter

Thanks James. I was getting the same disconnects last night so being on Option 2 has made no difference. I will raise a ticket to move me back to my old Plus product (I can always move to Option 2 when I feel it is a better option).
In the meantime I will run wireshark capture the next time I play. Having a look at the video demo it does say that it creates large files if left on for long times. Obviously I will have to run it while I am playing QW, which could be around 20 mins (usual map round time) or longer before a disconnect occurs so is this ok? QW doesn't allow tabbing back to windows while it is running for me to switch on capture as a map changes...
Please confirm if this is correct.
Also as there seems to be some PNstaff who play QW I would have thought you guys would have already ensured the correct ports and stuff were allowed etc...?
James
Grafter

Yeah, I'm absolutely certain we would be.
Can you confirm if your whole connection drops or if it is merely just the connection to the gaming server that you are using?
optimus
Grafter

Just the connection to the server I am on.
As detailed above the connection to my TS server begins to break up at that point but returns to normal after I have crashed back to the main QW menu.
As also previously stated this didn't happen once on Saturday (I was playing at various points in the day) but does seem to happen at peak times such as Sundays and evenings. As you fellow gamers can understand this does lead to some frustration.
It's weird...
(Ticket 23178724  raised for account product change)
BattleRat
Grafter

Quote from: optimus
QW doesn't allow tabbing back to windows while it is running for me to switch on capture as a map changes...
Please confirm if this is correct.

There is an ETQW minimiser which does allow tabbing back to your desktop.
This is a windows only application as linux users simply dont need it.