cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quake Live Problems?

God
Grafter

Quake Live Problems?

I have been enjoying the delights of Quake Live ( www.quakelive.com ) but have been frustrated by the messages I get every minute or so saying my connection dropped for a second, often causing death as some other player takes a post shot at my stationary player.
I never totally lose the connection... just my life 😉
I have checked that no-one else is hogging my bandwidth and that my email is turned off. I am not aware of any other software that would kick in to cause the stutter. I am on option 2 and seem to have the problem whenever I have played (so far evenings and weekends).
Any Suggestions as to why it might be happening or how to solve it? Generally I have a great connection and can download files at over 800k a second, so I am mystified as to why I am getting problems with 5 k a second.
15 REPLIES 15
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Quake Live Problems?

are you using a wireless connection? if so i'd recomend getting hard wired as wireless is poor for gaming.
if it's a stnad alone game you could try running a wireshark capture to make sure that it's getting prioritised correctly.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
oplesrope
Grafter

i've played this successfully (over a wireless connection i might add), not had an problems yet  although i did have a few teething problems whilst it made me play through the test match thingy a few times...  not much more to add - think i'm on option 2, and it was around 7-8pm at the weekend?  quake 3 arena was the first ever game i played online, still a lot of fun actually - i remember the sounds and level designs a lot more than i thought i would.
God
Grafter

I am wireless but it is fast and solid. I havent had a problem with other game such as COH. Just seems t be Quake Live that stutters for a second or so then recovers.
God
Grafter

I sat and timed the connection problem this evening, it happens EXACTLY once every minute on the button. That doesn't seem like a connection problem, something else is going on.
I have tried shutting down my AV program, Winpatrol and other programs I have installed that make it their business to scan periodically, I have also closed Outlook but the glitch still remains. Any more ideas as to what might cause an issue once a minute?
scootie
Grafter

try disabling wireless zero config(windows auto scans for routers and causes a ping spike)
for vista try using this app its what i use. http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/
and for xp follow this http://www.ifelix.net/tech/2007.html
it might not be the problem if other games run o.k but its worth a try as it scans every 30seconds or 60 seconds Undecided
God
Grafter

Yeehah!
That looks like it Asbo. I just had a quick 5 minute test without a single glitch. Thanks very much!
Cheers
Peter
scootie
Grafter

nice Smiley
which windows are you running?.
i use the app for vista as it makes it easy to enable WZC when i need it
God
Grafter

I am running Vista SP1.
I have to say despite all the nay sayers I have found Vista virtually trouble free and in my view far better than XP now or at the same relative point in it's life cycle.
Cheers Again!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Glad you found the fix, it's a very good game considering it runs in a browser window!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
God
Grafter

It is and free! I must admit I run it full screen  Roll_eyes
Oxigin
Grafter

Hi God,
Ive just signed up for PlusNet and I play QL alot, What kind of pings do you get ?
Im moving from Sky due to there massive ping (along with other things!)
Thanks
God
Grafter

Hi Oxigin
I cant check at the moment as I am in the middle of a rebuild of my main machine but I will definately post back when it is up and running again. Off the top of my head I think it was about 50 or 60.
But I will confirm if that is just a guess soon!
Cheers
Peter
Oxigin
Grafter

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the update,
Have you ever checked the ping with a wired connection ? Also could you please advise which plusnet package your on ?
If your interested in joining a UK based QL community check out http://www.qliveuk.net/ good bunch !
Good luck with the rebuild !  Smiley
Oh also are you on interleave or fash path ?
Thanks
God
Grafter

Hi again
I tried a quick session yesterday and this morning the results were mid thirties and mid sixties. I have never tried a wired connection as my PC is in a different room to the router. My package is BBYW Option 2. As far as I am aware my connection is NOT interleaved.
Cheers
Peter