cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting my TG585 v8 router in DMZ

Ryan1uk

Putting my TG585 v8 router in DMZ

Hi
I have searched and searched but can not seem to find an answer. I am new to plus net this morning. I have changed all the settings on my PS3 but can not seem to find DMZ settings on the router. I tried Home > Home Network > Devices > Assign Public IP but my PS3 does not come up in the drop drown box. Can anyone help me please.
Thankyou in advance
Ryan
EDIT: Tried port forwarding
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/TG585v8/PS3_Call_of_Duty_-_Bl...
but still a strict nat type.
6 REPLIES 6
BEERMAN684
Dabbler

Re: Putting my TG585 v8 router in DMZ

Loads of us are having the same issue Sad no workable solutions as of yet
Ryan1uk

Thanks for the reply. I will be stuck with a strict Nat so will have to cancel plus net Sad
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Cancel PN why?  They provide a router that gives you a connection for free if you stay a year, if not you would have to buy one for on average £40.  Granted after a search it doesn't have a DMZ option, but as long as you use fixed IP's for your network and not DHCP port forwarding will work.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Ryan1uk

How do i do that please?
Thankyou
dick:quote
Ryan1uk

I have since bought a new router and put it into DMZ and have an open NAT.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

They provide a router that gives you a connection for free if you stay a year
Not being pedantic but that's not really a unique selling point with isp's these days and probably seen as being the standard really.
Granted after a search it doesn't have a DMZ option, but as long as you use fixed IP's for your network and not DHCP port forwarding will work.

Curious as to whether you are talking from experience with this router or just routers in general? Problems getting open nat with this router are well documented in this forum. Up to date I have yet to hear of anyone with this router who has successfully either DMZ'd or port forwarded  the router. Even PN staff have not came up with a satisfactory answer other than enabling upnp which in itself is a security risk being forced onto the end user. Even that IME still causes problems disconnecting from games midway while the nat is open!
I trawl these boards looking for possible work arounds and solutions or even using snippets of other peoples posts to to try and combine different methods to no avail. I first started when I had problems and I can remember one poster saying "get a different router". This I thought was a flippant, throw away what was the point of posting type answer at the time but actually turned out to be good advice!
So far I believe, If my memory serves me right the last 3 or 4 posts I have been following with these issues has ended up with the poster buying a different router  Shocked Even the posts PN staff have been involved in helping with have just faded out with no real solution. That being said the FREE £40 router that ties you into a 12 month contract no longer seems that much of a bargain really. It's a real PITA that a lot of people that have bought into the low latency free router package because it appealed to online gamers are actually finding problems getting their routers to work properly, suffering from high latency and downloading to consoles throttled because of the way PN class the traffic.
All in all though the customer support is mint  Cool but I just feel that PN's package which seems to be sold on it's gaming advantages isn't all that and anybody with a console would probably be better off using a cheaper standard package.
I myself am thinking of switching to one of the two LLU suppliers at my exchange even though their reps are no way near as good as PN's but in the current climate its getting harder to justify paying upwards of £20 PM for my package when for one the router is pants, console updates and games are not classed as gaming traffic hence not prioritised and as for ping it's just ok. The dslam is so temperamental at times I feel like it's actually waiting for me to switch a kettle on just to give it an excuse to drop my sync speed which I guess LLU would be more sympathetic too. On top of all this there are limits which as more people stream tv and updates to games get into multiple gigs is getting more unrealistic unless you want to leave your stuff powered up over night.
Other than great customer support and arguably a lower latency is it really worth paying 3x what I could get a similar service from other isp's?