cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ps3 normal download /upload speeds after fiber upgrade

Wobby82
Dabbler

Ps3 normal download /upload speeds after fiber upgrade

Please can anyone help, my line is pulling 76mbps however my ps3 is connected to the router via Ethernet cable and it's only pulling 24.3mbps and upload 6.8mbps !!! Is there a reason the ps3 is not running at the same speed as my laptop?? My mat type is set to open if this helps? My line is ok as I have run many tests and it's allways a steady 76mbps, also the Ethernet cable is ok as I've plugged the Ethernet cable in laptop and it's running at max speed! It just seems odd that when ever I go into the play station network menu and run a Internet test the results are download (24.4mbps) and upload 6.3.
22 REPLIES 22
Wobby82
Dabbler

Re: Ps3 normal download /upload speeds after fiber upgrade

Can anybody help please
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Welcome to the forums Wobby82
it depends what port the speedtest might be running on your ps3 and your package, are you on the new unlimited.?
those speeds are far more than your ps3 will need for streaming or gaming though, is it causing you a specific problem.
As an aside, bumping your thread is against the forum rules and I would ask you not to do it in the future.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Wobby82
Dabbler

Hi yes it's the unlimited fiber package ,is there no way it can run at the same speed as the lap top ect? Can't see why it's only showing that speed when it's wired direct to the router? There are no problems by the way, thanks for reply
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

How are you testing the speed of the PS3?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Wobby82
Dabbler

Hi yes that is the actual ps3 connection test yes
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

are you testing in your browser in the ps3 or some other tool?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What are you running on the PS3 that needs any faster speed?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Kelly
Hero

I'm wondering if it's actually a limitation of the connection test. (I.e. it downloads from a site which is capped).    Chris is going to run a test later today on his PS3 and see what speeds he can get.
Kelly Dorset
Wobby82
Dabbler

I'm running the test in the actual ps3 network menus (ps3 settings within the system) I've also ran a test of the browser and it came up with the same results! I'm not running anything that needs that speed, just want to know why my laptop speed test results are over twice as fast as those of the ps3 when I'm connected with a Ethernet cable?! Surely the ps3 speed test should be no different to the laptop? Many thanks
Kelly
Hero

Well, it just depends really.  Speed tests are limited by the server doing the test, as well as the hardware running the test and the internet connection speed.
Chris has a fast fibre line, so we can see if he gets anything different to you on a speed test.
Kelly Dorset
Wobby82
Dabbler

Agh that will be fab, think the fastest my ps3 has been is about 26 Mbps download and about 7 Mbps upload, I plugged the same Ethernet cable in the laptop this morning and ran the bt speedtest and got 70mbps so the problem seems to lie at the ps3 end I'd imagine,
Wobby82
Dabbler

Just went on a speed checker site through the ps3 browser and I got 27.4mbps upload and2.4mbpsupload speed, must be some kind of setting in the ps3 or something not letting the ps3 run at the same speed as my computer ect
Wobby82
Dabbler

Update! Just ran a test with speed test .net through my ps3 browser and it's getting 73.2mbps download and 12.9mbps upload, so basically it's the connection test in the ps 3 network menu that keeps throwing up the low connection speed
Kelly
Hero

hehe.  I suspected as so.   It's probably using a server which doesn't have big enough ports Wink
Kelly Dorset