Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro or Premium?

riemanrez
Grafter

Pro or Premium?

Hi
I'm currently with the value package, but i have decided that i defo need to upgrade. My question is, would i notice any difference in latency for gaming when using premium instead of pro? I ask because i'm not sure i need everything to be prioritised, as long as my gaming traffic is as fast as possible i'd rather have the 80GB download limit. And is there any difference in upload speed between the two packages, because 0.5Mb is a bit measly if you're trying to host a game. I guess if they are the same now but there are plans to increase upload speed for pro only then this might also influence my decision.
19 REPLIES 19
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Pro or Premium?

Hi there,
              Depends what kind of gamer you are,heavy gamer?heavy downloader?playing on pc?xbox 360?ps3?
Im on premuim and play on the xbox 360 and i cant say i really bother with pings,i manage to game just fine, 46.9KB/s upload works just fine for me.      
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
riemanrez
Grafter

Sorry, should have said  Smiley
yeh i'm a fairly compulsive PC gamer (although not a very good one ;D)
I don't download a lot, and 20GB would probably be enough, but i've managed to get through 16GB this month and i haven't really done any big downloads as such. I did have problems with people stealing my wireless during the first week though and that was using up more than 1GB a day, so it's hard to tell. All i can say is that at the moment my play is being killed by high pings, to the extent that i can estimate my score at the start of a game based on how many connection bars i have, and get it roughly right every time.
What i really want to know is whether pro would offer better performance for pc gaming than premium, because at the moment never having to worry about usage appeals to me more than some extra traffic prioritisation which probably won't affect me much.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well all i can suggest is that seemingly pro gives you low latency from what i read up on about the pro package,have not read that premium gives you this advantage,however you will only get 20gb on pro and if you think that will last you then its worth giving it a go for yourself and see,im sure if its not what your after you can switch to the premium package the following month and give that a go.
Ive gave all the packages a go but to be honest with the xbox 360 theres not really any problems with gaming,it only uses 2 ports though.
I am concerened about someone else using your broadband though and you should get some proper security in place immediately.
I can point you to this thread thats ongoing about latency  if it helps you...http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80506.0.html
wysie
Grafter

Im switching from Pro to Premium next billing date because 20Gb isnt enough for me, gaming is prioritised on both and your ping should be the same on either one  :).
leeanthony
Grafter

I was on Pro and went to Premium about a month ago
Just go on Premium, Pro isnt worth it in my opinion
I wrote a little more detailed here earlier: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,81792.msg669921.html#msg669921
& no, it really does not effect gaming at all
riemanrez
Grafter

Thanks Xanity and Wysie, that's pretty much what i wanted to know. I'll give premium a go then.
KaotiK
Grafter

Id liketo know also, im on unlimited still but dont even see that on the site nowadays. So these ping probs happening at the mo, are they happening for premium users to or isit just unlimited, value etc users, jsut a bit confused. Im sure it used to say gaming was line speed like premium on unlimited but doesnt sAY anymore.
riemanrez
Grafter

hmmm, looks like i picked a bad time to change. I'd sorta assumed that it would change instantly, since i'm effectively just increasing my usage and traffic prioritisation, but it seems that's not the case. As my month started yesterday, it looks like i'll have to wait intil 9th January until it gets changed. This is a shame, since i would have liked to have had it over the christmas period. Is there any way a member of staff could set it to change now, since i'm only 2 days in to my current month and i can't see that it would make any difference? Wink
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: KaotiK
Id liketo know also, im on unlimited still but dont even see that on the site nowadays. So these ping probs happening at the mo, are they happening for premium users to or isit just unlimited, value etc users, jsut a bit confused. Im sure it used to say gaming was line speed like premium on unlimited but doesnt sAY anymore.
Not sure about the latency on unlimited tbh think it would not matter what ever your on,as for the unlimited package your gamings on unlimited has always been 2mbps at all times.You could all ask Plusnet staff for interleaving to be switched off as this would maybe help with latency.
Traffic shaping for your unlimited product can be seen in this link just select what product your on in the drop down box....  http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm

Edit...Spelling!
leeanthony
Grafter

Quote from: riemanrez
hmmm, looks like i picked a bad time to change. I'd sorta assumed that it would change instantly, since i'm effectively just increasing my usage and traffic prioritisation, but it seems that's not the case. As my month started yesterday, it looks like i'll have to wait intil 9th January until it gets changed. This is a shame, since i would have liked to have had it over the christmas period. Is there any way a member of staff could set it to change now, since i'm only 2 days in to my current month and i can't see that it would make any difference? Wink

Yup, give them a poke tomorrow if they havent already saw your post
riemanrez
Grafter

yeah i made a new post in the support forum, hopefully someone will notice it there.
riemanrez
Grafter

wow, that certainly made a difference
Yesterday (with value)

Same time today (with premium)
max99
Grafter

is it true that ALL xbox content is prioritised on premium tho?
i heard people report problems streaming inside xbox videos for instance and games like FIFA that use dedicated EA servers will not always be at priority speed until added to the signature database?
i'm on pro at the moment simply because i want to always ensure my gaming is line speed.
one other thing PRO lets you have uncapped upstream over 448K which is good for hosting online games.  as far as i know premium is capped upload.
riemanrez
Grafter

hadn't heard about the unlimited upstream before. If pro does have that then it's very badly advertised, as i'm sure lots of people would chose it because of that.
As far as i was aware there shouldn't really be a problem for Xbox because it only uses about 2 ports. Maybe Xbox games with dedis are different though...
Anyway, my pings are fine now and i can always find a low ping game on MW2's matchmaking, although it's still a rubbish system. They badly need to get some big patches up.