cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro - Whats the difference?

BenS1

Pro - Whats the difference?

Ok, so I got the email today telling me about the new Pro package for gamers.
I looked at the webpage and the main feature appears to be that it prioritises games traffic.
Hmmmm, I seem to remember that when PlusNet introduced their prioritisation service that they said realtime traffic such as VoIP and Games would be given top priority, so I decided to check.
Indeed looking at this here:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/traffic_prioritisation.shtml
it does show that games are given Titanium priority, which is exactly what you get with Pro according to this:
http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/bbyw_information_pro.shtml
So is there any difference in the priorities? Are PlusNet planning on degrading the priority of game traffic for non Pro packages? If so then I wont be happy!!!
Thanks
Ben
27 REPLIES 27
James
Grafter

Re: Pro - Whats the difference?

Hi Ben,
We're certainly not planning on downgrading the gaming performance for our other customers!  On our non-Pro products, gaming traffic is treated as gold.  however, if we don't recognise the traffic then it can be classified as silver traffic, thus giving poorer performance.  Because on Pro, all traffic is either in titanium or gold (our two highest levels of prioritisation) we ensure that the gaming performance is always at an optimal level.
BenS1

Thanks for your reply.
I note that you say that on the non-Pro products gaming is treated as Gold, but on the first link I posted, which is not Pro specific, it lists games as Titanium not Gold.
Please can you confirm that games on non-Pro are Titanium as per the link and not Gold?!
Thanks
Ben
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

On our non-Pro products, gaming traffic is treated as gold.

Slightly incorrect there Jameseh, gaming is titanium on all BBYW apart from Option 1 (it's in Gold on this)
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Hi Ben,
Yes, gaming is titanium apart from BBYW Option 1
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
BenS1

Thanks for the clarification Chris.
So, is there any benefit of pro over normal BBYW?
Thanks
Ben
Chris
Legend

Normal BBYW has rate limits on other protocols and different queues depending on how interactive the traffic is. BBYW Pro has no rate limits and all traffic is either titanium or gold (the top 2 queues).
Have a look here for comparisons between the products:-
http://usergroup.plus.net/070920_bbywcomp3.php
BenS1

Thanks.
So just to be clear, Pro, which is targetted at gamers, has exactly the same priority on game traffic as the other BBYW options (Except 1)... the difference is that it gives higher than normal priority to non-game traffic!?
Maybe it should be targetted at non-gamers?!
James
Grafter

Hi Ben,
Apologies for my faux pas back there Smiley
We see VoIP and Gaming traffic as paramount of importance to our gaming community.  It is essentially just a product with all traffic prioritised, but we feel that it will be of most internest the gamers out there.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
....with BBYW Pro all traffic is prioritised so betas, demos and new games will all be given the highest priority without the need for the user to do anything.

Not quite correct, unrecognised games go in gold on Pro rather than Silver/Bronze on the other BBYW products. Only recognised games will be in Titanium.
pcoventry76
Grafter

Well i've got pro and its awesome, even at peak times it's like i am the only punter on the central - even when surfing or e-mailing
It's well worth it i think
Pete
jabns2
Grafter

Why has the PRO package not got the 832kbps upload?
If it is ment for gamers it should have the MAX Premium package!
This means that people can only host 8-10 players instead of 12-16 on the higher upload speeds(Most 360 titles).
I can't believe there is not even a addon option!
James Barlow
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Simple answer, cost. A Max premium connection costs more so they would not have been able to offer the Gaming product at the price they are, it would have been £5 -> £10 more per month and thus not competitive.
Also switching between it and the other BBYW products (or even addig it as an option) would need to involve BT Wholesale as its a different IPstream product and thus and thus a charge meaning the switch could not be free.
PUG already have an item open requesting this - PUGIT item 348.
pcoventry76
Grafter

Well if i could get the 832 upstream, which i probably can't, then i'd pay the extra - aslong as there was abit extra for some more inclusive allowance
chillypenguin
Grafter

832kb upstream is available on PlusNet's business packages;
http://www.plus.net/business/broadband/business.shtml
But that is £41.11 inc VAT
Chilly