cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro Add On? - Isn't Working

Ripperoo
Dabbler

Pro Add On? - Isn't Working

I started online gaming this morning using the Xbox360 and after having disconnection issues, decided to check out the 'Network Statistics' with the Xbox360.
I ran the test and it returned a latency of 161ms with 0% packet loss.
I then checked the Plusnet  website to see if there had been any connection issues and came across the 'Pro Add-on' which apparently:
"Upgrades your service to a top-class prioritised connection, ideal for online gaming and working from home"
So I thought, "sod it, it's only a fiver a month" and went for it.
An email came a little later stating: "The following Add-On is now active on your account"
Proceeded to reboot both the router and Xbox360 and ran the same test on the console.
However, the results were exactly the same as before buying the 'Pro Add-on'.
I was hoping for the latency to drop quite a bit, but it didn't.  Sad
I did phone Plusnet CS to enquire there was no change and the response was that the upgrade would go live at the beginning of the next billing cycle (October 1st).
This is fair enough, but the confirmation email say that the add-on is now active on my account.
I pinged the following (timings in brackets)
Microsoft (16ms average)
Google (18ms average)
Plusnet (25ms average)
Any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Pro Add On? - Isn't Working

The Pro add-on takes effect immediately as the e-mail advised. The information provided by CS is incorrect.
The add-on does not affect latency, and for gaming it will generally have an effect only if the game is an unrecognised one and your connection is being used for other real-time activities such as streaming. In other words the value of the add-on is questionable on the current products.
I don't have an X-Box; users who do are best placed to advise on your latency results.
David
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

are you using wired or wireless connection for the xbox?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Ripperoo
Dabbler

Wired, over solid copper CAT6 cable!
In fact, I installed solid copper CAT6 right through the house recently (every room right back to the router with a couple of unmanaged network switched in the mix).
It's probably overkill for the my Xbox360S because I believe the NIC is only 100mb, but it was mainly done for Netflix, Prime etc.
At least I'm future-proofed for the foreseeable (I hope anyway).
If its of any consequence, there is only the PC I'm using now on a switch with the Xbox360S I use.
Thanks for moving the topic BTW Dvorak.
dick:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Where does X-Box 360 go to measure latency? The figure you got would be reasonable if it's to the USA.
David
legume
Rising Star

I just had a look with my xbox 360 and it came back with 153ms. I don't believe that is representative of what we (normally 3 sometimes 4 360s on this LAN) actually get in game.
Maybe that's to some far away xbox live test server.
I am on fibre 65/20 and get 10ms to the BBC 16+ to plusnet (whose server is somewhat erratic = useless for ping tests).
Ripperoo
Dabbler

Quote from: legume
I am on fibre 65/20 and get 10ms to the BBC 16+ to plusnet

I have 38MB Fibre here (actual = 36/9)
BBC = 17ms
Plusnet = 23ms
Above timings are average, but somewhat slower than your quoted times.
What region are you located and how far from your local exchange?
Myself, I'm up in West Cumbria and approx 1.1 miles from the exchange ATCF (1.5 miles by road).
Meant to say I have a Fritz!Box 7490 in case anyone knows whether there are latency issues with this particular unit.
Supposed to be the bogs dollox, but I suppose that all depends how it's configured.
Anything untoward in the DSL Info taken from the Fritz!Box?:

Some screen captures of this Fritz!Box DSL info page state the latency to the exchange in milliseconds, but mine just says 'Fast'.
legume
Rising Star

I am 150 km from London so a lot closer than you, which could account for some of the difference (around 1ms/100km for fibre I think). Which Plusnet gateway I connect to can increase mine by 2/3ms.
TBH I wouldn't really care if I had 17ms rather than 10. 7ms more isn't going to be noticeable for gaming.
For FTTC distance from the exchange isn't important, which is just as well as I am 3km from mine. Distance to the cabinet is what matters mine 350 - 400m.
I don't know about the Fritz - but they seem to be rated so unlikely to be that. I use a little Linux PC as a router (+ other things)  currently with the OR modem plugged into a switch as I never got round to getting a second nic for the router box. I know this is a sub-optimal setup WRT multicast TV - but I don't have that.
lf2k
Grafter

Xbox latency is usually measured against a server in Seattle, so the latency is correct for the UK.
The Pro add-on won't make any difference unless you're maxing out your line when playing the game (it shouldn't be necessary on fibre).
Looking at the fritzbox stats, it looks like you've got interleaving even though it says FAST... The max and attainable rates should be very similar - are you running the latest firmware for your router?
Failing that, it could be a routing issue at PN... You might find better performance if you gateway hop. Go to http://users.plus.net/@gateway_custom?debug-ip=yes and it will tell your gateway.
In your router, look for a disconnect option - click on that, wait 30 seconds, then reconnect. Click the link again and it should hopefully say something different.  If it says PCL in the gateway, its probably a slow gateway.... It should mention Telehouse rather than City Lifeline House.
Ripperoo
Dabbler

Quote from: lf2k
Looking at the fritzbox stats, it looks like you've got interleaving even though it says FAST
Is there any way to turn interleaving off?
I'm sure there used to be an option in the my account area of the Plusnet website (prior to upgrading to fibre in May this year), but cannot find it now.
If I have turned it off previously, would the option to turn it  back disappear?
.......are you running the latest firmware for your router?
Yes, latest version loaded yesterday.
Go to http://users.plus.net/@gateway_custom?debug-ip=yes and it will tell your gateway.
It was City Lifeline House!
..............look for a disconnect option..............................It should mention Telehouse rather than City Lifeline House.
Well, I reconnected a couple of times and eventually got: Telehouse West.
Is the 'Telehouse' variant OK?
As a comparison
BEFORE (City House)
BBC (17ms average)
Plusnet (23ms average)
Microsoft (16ms average)
Google (18ms average)
AFTER (Telehouse West)
BBC (15ms average)
Plusnet (23ms average)
Microsoft (13ms average)
Google (14ms average)
So most have come down a little, but that could be time of day as well?
Just checked the 'Network Statistics' through the Xbox360 and it's showing:
Latency = 156ms
Packet Loss = 0%
Upload Speed 9.75Mbps
Download Speed = 34.68Mbps
Compared to http://www.speedtest.net/
Ping - 14ms
Upload = 9.95Mbps
Download = 35.90Mbps
Just been looking on the Xbox Forums and it seems it's quite common to get more than 150ms.
legume
Rising Star

Time of day can make a slight difference for me - now =
--- bbc.co.uk ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 9008ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 10.775/11.005/11.217/0.183 ms
The xbox stats dl for me tops at 40mbit (can get 62 on other tests) I guess that could be just because of the (small?) window size the xbox uses and the distance of the server.
FWIW I have noticed that if a game is running and triggers a download like first time update/new maps/whatever the xbox will limit its self to 5mbit (tcpdump shows it closing down the receive window) I assume as some sort of QOS thing. If no game is running downloads are much faster, but still somewhat variable day to day.
As for the pro add on  - I would personally save the money and cancel - in theory at least, not having it should be better for games in the case that your downstream is flooded with other traffic as you should get QOS on incoming game traffic.
Ripperoo
Dabbler

Thanks for the info Legume
Quote from: legume
As for the pro add on  - I would personally save the money and cancel

I think I will you know.
When I first tried GTA5 online the other day I kept getting disconnected after a few minutes.
So when I saw the 'Pro Add-on' which touted itself as better for online gaming, I thought that was going to be a winner.
As it happens, I tried again today and it happened a few times again.
Had a few periods in between  where I was connected to GTA5 Online for a couple of hours without issue, but I was using the 'Private Invite' as opposed to the other option that was being disconnected all the time.