Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding

MichaelMac
Grafter

Port Forwarding

Hi all,
recently moved to PlusNet and ever since i've had nothing but problems with gaming on the PS3. So much so, it's unusable.
I phoned customer support last week to discuss it and i've setup Port Forwarding due to my game (Black Ops 2 on the PS3) being disconnected all the time. Yet still it's doing it. I can't stay in one game at all, even though I setup the forwarding thing I'm getting ridiculously annoyed and i've never had to do anything like this before EVER it's just PlusNet so far. I've previously been with BT & O2 Home broadband.
Can anyone shed some light on some reliable Ports I can use for the network please?
Not a happy customer so far,
Mike.
72 REPLIES 72
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Port Forwarding

Have you changed to our router?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
MichaelMac
Grafter

Yes, brand new Technicolor TG582n model.
DeanWheddon

I have had similar problems the past month with plusnet. Although I have been with them around 2 years now and it has only just started, but this is with every game on the PS3 when online. I have tried CoD4, MW2, Black Ops 1, MW3 and Black Ops 2 and have the same problems with all of them.
Something tells me there has been a change with plusnet with the traffic management or something along those lines that they are not willing to tell their customers.
They will more than likely ask you to change channels on your router, send you out a new router and then advise you to buy a new router which cost upwards of £100 which is ridiculous!
But if I was you, I would not hold your breath on getting this sorted any time soon!
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

When did it start?
We've been growing out the network kit over the past few months, but last night was the first "change" in the platform and it certainly shouldn't cause disconnections.
Is there any patterns to it? 
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You really shouldn't have to forward the ports, UPnP should just work for gaming.
@DeanWheddon
I've asked Chris Purvey to get in touch, I've got a suggestion we can try to see if we can eliminate the router from the equation without you having to spend money buying a new one.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MichaelMac
Grafter

I'm actually thinking of sending back the router and cancelling the service. It's beyond the joke now, I've tried other COD games now and having the same trouble. You shouldn't have to setup port forwarding in my book to connect to a game network, I've never had to before with others.
As for a fix, I can't see one being given.
Probably going to cancel the service later today.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I agree you shouldn't have to port forward for COD (I play it on PC and don't need to), so something is definitely wrong there. Is UPnP turned on *and* the ports forwarded too?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We'd like to take a look at the how your traffic is being managed while you're gaming. We'd need to monitor as you're in real time playing, I've tried to call you to arrange a time to do this if you're able to but  I keep getting an engaged tone.
Are you around today to try this?
Just to add..... You're currently on a gateway that would enable us to monitor the traffic, so if you could not do any disconnections prior to us arranging this it would help.
MichaelMac
Grafter

If possible could you give me 30 minutes and call back? been on the phone most of the morning sorting some stuff out  Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for your time on the phone, we managed to verify that the traffic is being identified correctly. As you said though you didn't have any gaming issues this time and it appears to happen at a peak time more often than not.
As discussed, when you see that you're having any issues when gaming it would be idea if you were able to capture a wireshark, Dave has explained how to configure your router for this here.
MichaelMac
Grafter

Thanks for the phonecall and chat about it, just going to see what Wireshark is all about now. Reason is, just switched on the PSN and got kicked straight out again... in fact the Playstation nearly got launched  Grin
MichaelMac
Grafter

I used Wireshark and have a grab file from it, where do I send it ?  Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Would it be possible for you to ZIP it and attach it to a ticket?
MichaelMac
Grafter

This is getting beyond the joke, I followed the Mac tutorial only to find after downloading all the necessary programs to get it to work, it won't open. I had to borrow a Windows laptop to get it to work. Will send a ticket with the file - and no doubt no problems will be found.
Just very annoying and lost all interest in staying with PlusNet at the moment...