cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Populous The Beggining (PC)

mooresy123

Populous The Beggining (PC)

The ports are blocked, i have asked Plus.Net to open them for me i went through the application process to get the game and its associated ports on the safe list but nothing has been done about it. I'm pretty fed up of plus.net tbh they mucked me around something rotten when it was gettin installed 3 month from initial contact before i had a connection even now 6 months on i cant host one of my favorite games, it was the only reason i got cabled internet the wireless dongle worked out extremly cost effective. Now i have to rely on other users hosting. I tel you what if you can get virgin media, go for it i never regretted dealing with them..
6 REPLIES 6
Mark
Grafter

Re: Populous The Beggining (PC)

Hi mooresy
It's not totally clear from your post what the issue is here. We dont block ports but I'd certainly appreciate some detail on whats happening.
Have you raised this to our support team and if so whats the ticket ID?
Mark
mooresy123

Hi Mark.
I had a look through my old support tickets, unable to locate. This issue was dealt with primarily over the phone, though i spoke to numerous reps and they all had different answers, stuff like "the ports are blocked you cannot use them" or "the ports are open its your end" and even (my favorite) "transparent proxy wont allow it" (Its your proxy it will do as you tell it!) . Finally i spoke with Mr. Russell Stevens who concluded most of the issues i had incl. a little extra help. He pointed me in the direction of the Plus.net website where i can apply for a game to be added to some sort of 'safe' list.
ok, il try and add a bit of structure to this one;
I play a game called Populous: The Beginning
It uses ports 7575 UDP
my internal config is setup as should be i have done this many times before with different ISP's routers and OS's (7575UDP > INT. LAN IP)
No connection.
Firewall is off etc i have even tried DMZ no luck.
Any advice?
(Give Russell a raise hes good at his job) Grin
Regards,
A.Moores
Mark
Grafter

Hi there.
I'm aware of Populous. Are you using the original game or the reincarnated version?
What router are you using?
Are you able to test with an alternative router?
What firewall are you using
what AV are you using.
Have you visited this page? http://popre.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7176&sid=e108c4eee3f19fb1de644baf41c94371
I can say that the ports arent blocked. The fact that Populous has been around for a good number of years would suggest that the Ellacoya trafficmanagement system should have a signature for it. We normally need to add signatures for new releases, not something which has been around as long as this.
A quick google reveals that this isnt an uncommon issue for this game. There's always the potential that it's not the ISP at fault Smiley
Mark

mooresy123

Hi Mark,
Blame the ISP's its all there fault! Grin
Thanks for the reply.
I'l be using the Reincarnated version as i have installed the patch so i assume that is the version i now run.
Though it might be good to note, when you say reinc. version, it is essentially the original game, though it uses the 'reincarnation matchmaker' to allocate players and initialise the game.
I am not able to test with an alternative router, unfortunatly modem and router are as one, i would have took the router out otherwise.
I dont have a firewall, windows FW is turned off.
No AV, im a clean livin guy Tongue
I visited the page, im actually shocked that you know of this game and also specific threads on the forum relating to this issue (do you play this game of so 1 vs 1 me haha Grin )
I do understand this is a common problem, but i beleive i am competant enough to forward these ports successfully as i have done in the past many time before. I have studied and completed the CCNA course so i know the basics, i just cant seem to get this to work through your connection.
Regards,
Adam
mooresy123

It might be worth noting, i have had this working before, one time only.
I think i may have a problematic router, when i enter the port forward information through the routers setup page, it doesnt work. Yet, a few days ago i tried a program called PFConfig that uploaded the info directly and that worked one time. (Hell knows how or why)
My router is a Thompson TG585 v8
Mark
Grafter

Interesting re the router.
Let us know how the diags go with that.
As for Populous, havent looked at it for about 7 or maybe more years. That and WZ2100 were my addictions about 10 years ago Smiley
Dont get time to game nowdays, the missus doesnt get the need Smiley