Grafter

Re: Poorly XBOX :( (Shut up Adie)

To be fair, we've already got a PS3 and 4 360's in this house Tongue
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: HaydnExport
What shoddy online gaming?  I have aps3 and online is great Shocked
Upon its release, the PS3 was heralded as redefining what a computer games system should be able to offer its user. Becoming more of a home entertainment machine rather than merely for video games use. At face value its advanced features appear to be hugely advanced from its predecessor, the PS2. HDMI capability, wireless online gaming, and sixaxis wireless controllers all greatly enhance the gaming experience. But one of its flagship elements, the ability to browse the internet, appears to have fallen greatly short of expectations.
Web Browsing Issues
The primary problem lies with the setup of the browser itself. Unlike the layout of your conventional Explorer or Firefox browser you would find on any PC or laptop, the PS3 does not have an address bar at the top of the screen. It can be accessed instead through a sidebar menu, operated using a keypad which is difficult to navigate at speed, due to its messy layout and and the jumbled way you have to move between characters. It is extremely frustrating, and it can take an age to enter a lengthy URL.
Unreliable Internet
For a web browser on such an advanced machine, the number is times that it cannot complete the action of finding the correct page is simply unacceptable. Also, for pages with a number of videos or high resolution pictures, it can simply take an age to load, particularly through a wireless set-up. It cannot be expected that the PS3 can allow internet access as quickly and fluently as on a conventional PC, but the browser is sluggish to say the least, and often when is does successfully load, being able to view the entire page is hopeless due to the clumsy selection key which allows you to zoom in and out, but seemingly never to the desired distance from the page.
Software Issues
But even these problems could be ignored if the PS3 browser was not woefully out of date when downloading software. Downloading software updates such as Mozilla Firefox are possible, but not to the casual gamer who simply wants to improve their internet capability. They require moderate levels of understanding of computing to access. Also, esssential PC software such a Java Updates, Adobe, or Flash Player cannot be downloaded by the individual, rather they must wait for a software update from Sony. This means of number of online video sites cannot be watched, leading to a frustrating search for ones that do (You Tube appears to be one that works consistently).
Behind the XBox
As a result, it is generally considered that due to this failure (among others), the PS3 is a long way behind Microsoft's X Box in terms of advancing gaming. Their online store is also far superior to that of Sony's, even incorporating classic arcade games into their system that can be purchased very cheaply by the gamer. Grin
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I'm happy enough with my PS3  Embarrassed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Addnan
Grafter

Why do people need to be fanboys? Just be happy with whatever console you have. They both have their + and -.
scootie
Grafter

its just banter on here, we are all friends and mostly have these discussions just for the fun of it.
i certainly dont hide the fact that microsoft hardware is made of lego  Grin ( a repaired xbox and a steering dead later, o and i also went out and brought a new xbox why waiting for one to get back from germany but for some reason i still would go back to the shop and buy a xbox every time mine breaks instead of ps3. couldnt tell you why i just do
Kiss love ya really ps3'ers (still think your insane thoe  Crazy )
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Addnan
Why do people need to be fanboys? Just be happy with whatever console you have. They both have their + and -.
Who me?Fanboy?i think strat's the local FanBoy! Wink
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Rizla

Why buy a whole new console when it's only the dvd drive that is failing? Would you buy a new car when your clutch is going?
Send them to me and i'll fix them Tongue
http://kent.gumtree.com/kent/45/48389045.html
scootie
Grafter

can you repair whole mother board failures, thats what happend to one of mine when a tv set died with a bang and must of sent a surge down the av cable. no red ring just kept freezing up to start with on certain point of the intro on cod waw and then a few hours later started to do it on the loading of screen of the system.
i manged to get microsoft to repair it free even with out any red ring, thoe i didnt mention my tv set blew up at the same time my console died to  Smiley
p.s the xbox was turned of at the time so ps3'ers dont be thinking the xbox killed the tv as it was the other way round. i like to think the falure rate of the xbox is due to the ps3 pixies coming at night and tampering with them due to there insane jeliousy  Grin
i also got a good deal on the xbox from currys that i brought to see me through the week it went for repair. just as the 60db version came out as well. i only wanted an arcarde one as i had harddrive ect and currys said they had one in and took my money and gave the recpit to only find they didnt have one in stock and neither did pcworld there partner shop on the trading est, so i manged to walk out the shop with a prem 60gb for £130 plus the free game that was part of the orignal deal
Euge
Grafter

just as the 60db version came out as well

Is that the quieter running xbox 360?  Wink
scootie
Grafter

depends if its turned on or not  Smiley
edit. DOH
Euge
Grafter

More to the point asbo what are you doing on at 4 in the morning, do you not have a job at the moment? Or funny working hours. Is the noise of your xbox 360 just keeping you up at night?
James
Grafter

Suspect he was staying awake to ensure that no jealous PS3'ers broke into his house to thieve his 360.
scootie
Grafter

work from home m8  Smiley the only noise my xbox makes at night at the mo is the weeping noise it makes when i tell her (yes my xbox is a she  ;D) that PN is being mean to me at midnight -2am  Roll_eyes
its ok i have a spare one  if  that event happens
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Jameseh
Suspect he was staying awake to ensure that no jealous PS3'ers broke into his house to thieve his 360.

Nah...much easier to just go out and buy one. The hard part is finding a working one Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Euge
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh

In that case Asbo you can rest easy  Smiley
Did you apply for Jimmy Carrs advert in the paper about earning £££'s without having to leave your bed, just call Pimp Jimmy.