Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet new ISP

Bongo500
Dabbler

Plusnet new ISP

Hi,
I've been with plusnet for a while now and they are alot better than my last ISP. I use my internet mainly for gaming and as long as there is little or no lag i'm happy, and so far plusnet has given me that. I do have 2 questions though:
1) On your gaming part of the forum I was reading the post about the games which you support, and there was a bit saying 'if you have any problems raise a ticket' What does this mean? Sorry if it seems a silly question.. and that kinda brings me on to the 2nd question
2) I've recently started playing a new game and the connection + ping was fine, 20-50 all the way through, sometimes going up to 100 at peak time but that's still pretty playable + good. (atleast i think so) However over christmas and even now, I have been getting a latency of 1000+! Even 2000 sometimes. I just thought I would ask you if you have any idea why this is ?
I've noticed a post about some customers getting bad pings, but all other online games are fine for me, it's just this one game.  I don't want to say too much about games as this is a feedback part of the forum rather than a gaming part.
26 REPLIES 26
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Plusnet new ISP

Plusnet may need to set up signatures to recognise the traffic for new games or new versions of games. All gaming traffic should be in the titanium queue. http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark.shtml tells you how to check this and gives the help assistant path for raising a ticket if it is wrong.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Unless you are on Value then it is only in Gold and can have problems
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Embarrassed I keep forgetting that!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

'if you have any problems raise a ticket' What does this mean?

If you go here: http://contactus.plus.net/
- Select 'My Broadband Connection'
- Choose 'Incorrect Traffic Management'
This will let you raise a ticket for our support team to look at.
I have been getting a latency of 1000+! Even 2000 sometimes. I just thought I would ask you if you have any idea why this is ?

It's possible that we may be mis-classifying the game traffic, if you
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark_video.shtml
get a wireshark capture and then raise a ticket as above, with the capture attached. We'll take a look into it for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Bongo500
Dabbler

Ok thanks. If i want to use wireshark to test a game, Would I need to start the game, and then start playing it, or atleast start a game? I only notice the lag when I actually start playing a game and it doesn't really lag on the menu.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You need to capture actual downstream traffic when latency/lag is being experienced. Only a few seconds is needed, otherwise the capture file becomes unmanageably large.
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As spraxyt says - you'll need the game to be running (and you'll need to be playing online) when you start the capture in order that we see the game packets. You won't need to leave the capture going for long, in fact it's better if you don't as the pcap file size (the one you end up with when it's done) can get quite large.
Bongo500
Dabbler

The only problem is with this game I don't know when i lag until i've actually started a game. I lagged today with the high latency again, I started wireshark and tried to capture, it didn't work. The game has a feature whereby if you disconnect or leave you can't start another game until the one you started has ended, you can only connect back to that game - so I tried to log off, start wiresharkz, and reconnect to the game, still nothing was being picked up...
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Were you running wireshark on the same PC as you were playing the game on?
Bongo500
Dabbler

Yes, and i've just found something, I have 2 things i can test listed. For some reason I am only able to test the one with an unknown IP and with no packets being picked up.. the other one seems to have packets being picked up but when i try to start capturing i get an error.
The capture session could not be initiated (failed to set hardware filter to promiscuous mode).
With some other small text under it...
Just in case you need to know, we have the plusnet router, shared by 2 PC's which use a wireless connection. I've not been able to play some games in the past before the router has it's own sort of firewall? Could this be the problem?
Bongo500
Dabbler

Can I have some help please?
Bongo500
Dabbler

Can I have some help? I really want to get this problem sorted out.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm afraid I'm not in to gaming at all and why wireshark failed I don't know. One thing I've had to do in the past is run wireshark on a separate PC - but to do that you have to put a hub (as opposed to a switch - ADSL routers are all switches) between the PC and the router. That way will guarantee that it sees all the traffic.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

What are you using for gaming - PC, Xbox or PS3