Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Fibre Extra with Onlive

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Plusnet Fibre Extra with Onlive

Are there any Plusnet users out there having good performance with Onlive?
Our own internal test line on the Extra and Value products is showing it working fine, but I want to see if that is replicated outside of our office.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero

Quote from: tracycrossan
However, i have joined the Onlive service and its totally unplayable. The service will start but all games are pixelated an sluggish.

Matt and I have been investigating further today..  Some more questions.  What do you mean by sluggish?  Like low FPS?  Or movement/actions seeming to not respond?    Is the pixelation constant?  Or does it look fine and then break up?
Could you get a screengrab of the issue?
Kelly Dorset
mattturner
Grafter

Hi Tracy,
I've put you on the Pro traffic management profile (as of 5 minutes ago)... perhaps you can let us know if the OnLive service improves?
Thanks,
Matt
ribbox

HI,
I just logged on to OnLive (not for long) I had no problems, graphics fine and responsive. Mac client - update was required before I could logon might need a PC client upgraded?.
Mark
Kelly
Hero

On Fibre Extra Ribbox?
Kelly Dorset
tracycrossan
Dabbler

Hi Matt,
Result....... My Onlive is now perfect. The Pro add-on seems to have worked.
I also installed some software to reduce the latanecy on my network called LeatrixLatencyFix (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html)
So one of the two did the job.
Can you confirm if the Pro add-on will incur an extra cost? (obviously i'd rather not pay anymore  :P)
Thanks again.
mattturner
Grafter

Hi Tracy,
I'm glad that this resolved your problems!
I doubt the latency reducer has done anything as there are no acknowledgement packets in the OnLive protocol.
The Pro Addon does incur a charge but we'll leave you on it until we fix this issue, we won't charge you.
We suspect the problem lies with the video stream coming from OnLive. The bandwidth required is 5Mbps however we limit the gaming traffic on your package to 5Mbps exactly. It may be that upping this bandwidth very slightly will fix the problem.
We'll be doing some more investigation next week and getting a fix prepared.
Enjoy your weekend with OnLive and be careful not to rack up too much usage 😉
Matt
tracycrossan
Dabbler

Thanks a lot Matt,
I really appreciate your help.
If you could let me know when this fix will be applied so I can test it I would be grateful.
I'm not sure I could justify another £5 a month just for Onlive otherwise.
Thanks
Tracy
mattturner
Grafter

Hi Tracy,
We made a change yesterday to fix this and I've successfully tested it this afternoon. We've changed the rate limit from 5Mbits/s to 6Mbits/s for both Fibre Extra and Fibre Value.
Five minutes ago I changed your traffic profile back to the default Fibre Extra and I am confident that you'll not notice any difference with OnLive. Please could you let us know how you get on?
Thanks,
Matt
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: tracycrossan
I also installed some software to reduce the latanecy on my network called LeatrixLatencyFix (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html)
So one of the two did the job.

i wouldn't of thought that would work with onlive as from what i can see only the log in process uses a bit of tcp, once logged in its all UDP including the control input packets
tracycrossan
Dabbler

Hi All,
Just to let you all know, since Plusnet applied the gaming bandwidth increse from 5Mbits/s to 6Mbits/s Onlive is now perfect.
Thanks for the hard work Plusnet.....
Kpro
Dabbler

Since signing upto plunet fibre Im getting a lot of lagg while playing on PSN  Cry never had that problem on normal broadband. Im even going try out a different router too see if it helps, if it dosent a may reconsider changing .
andrewl123

I'm also having a lot of problems with Onlive. I'm not on fibre though unfortunately, but my ADSL supports up to 7 Mbps so should be able to handle it. I seem to have been getting that in the mornings, and Onlive is playable, with the odd bit of lag, during the day. However,  after about 1800 to late at night there is a lot of lag and the picture becomes very very pixilated to the point its unplayable. I see above another customer fixed this with a 'Pro' upgrade, so this suggests to me that it could be a traffic shaping issue for me too. Any chance you could do something about this for me too? I'd like to get back to my games.  Thanks
Andrew