Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Fibre Extra with Onlive

tracycrossan
Dabbler

Plusnet Fibre Extra with Onlive

Hello,
Can anyone help me out. I have the Plusnet Fibre Extra product and i am getting a solid 35mb Down & 1.8mb Up when conducting speedtests and also a ping of 17ms with 0 or 1ms jitter on pingtest.net
However, i have joined the Onlive service and its totally unplayable. The service will start but all games are pixelated an sluggish.
I have the Plusnet provided netgear wnr1000 router.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to fix this issue as my connection should be easily good enough.
Thank you in anticipation.
27 REPLIES 27
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Plusnet Fibre Extra with Onlive

OnLive should be correctly classified in our traffic management system as we implemented it earlier this week.
Any particular time of day you're having this problem? If it continues I'd suggest performing a wireshark capture and raising a support ticket from our website with the capture attached. 
http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tracycrossan
Dabbler

No the time of day was irrelevant. The performance was the same at anytime, even very early in the morning and late at night.
I will raise a ticket & a wireshark.
Thank you.
tracycrossan
Dabbler

Hello,
The wireshark results don't show an issue.
Does anyone know if a hardware issue with my machine would cause latancy blips?
Thanks
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Are you wired to the router?  Or wireless?
If wireless, try using an ethernet cable, just to eliminate the wireless signal from the equation.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
tracycrossan
Dabbler

Hi Kelly,
I am on Ethernet anyway.  Embarrassed
jonnywishbone
Grafter

I'm experiencing similar issues on all onlive platforms, pc, microconsole and ipad app.
I am running at 90mbs down and 15mbs up on average and time of day has no bearing. I am on FTTP btw.
I can only assume that it is the onlve servers that are not up to the task or perhaos they prefer adsl connections?
tracycrossan
Dabbler

@jonnywishbone
I have various friends that are on Virgin Media Fibre who have no problems at all on Onlive (regardless of platform)
It must be something to do with Plusnet Fibre as i haven't heard that BT Infinity is having the same issue.
Its a real shame because Plusnet Fibre seems to be very good but it cannot seem to sustain a constant low latency.
Is there anyone at Plusnet that could look into this?  My Wireshark query didn't seem to generate any result.
Thanks in anticipation
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Tracy,
Not sure what we can do with regards to latency, perhaps you could set up the TBB ping monitor and see if that picks anything up? Unfortunately interleaving on fibre doesn't work in the same way as it does on the ADSL connection types so we can't really look at that. Does your router report any sort of interleaving that could be increasing the latency?
It'd also probably be worth trying a ping to the servers you're connecting to/playing on to see what kind of results come back.
tracycrossan
Dabbler

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the advise, i will try TTB ping monitor when i get home.
How would i check if my router reports any sort of interleaving? Would it be in the logs?
FYI, i also have problems with another cloud gaming service called Gaikai (not sure if thats relevant or not)
Thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's a tricky one with fibre actually, as I don't believe it's reported in the router and there's no access to the modem unfortunately. You might be able to find out with routerstats but even if it is on there's not really anything we can do short of raising a fault, and we can only do that if there's actually a fault to report I'm afraid.
mattturner
Grafter

Hi Tracy,
I've run some tests this morning with the OnLive service on one of our ADSL2+ test lines here in the office - nothing beats the feeling of playing video games on work time!
I've applied a number of different traffic management profiles to our line, OnLive was playable on all of them and has been classified correctly.
I can see that if we artificially restrict the throughput to 2Mbps then the bit-rate of the stream decreases automatically but the game is still 100% playable and responsive.
From looking at your Wireshark capture (albeit short in length because of our file size restrictions) I can see that you were receiving a full 5Mbps stream from the OnLive servers. I understand from the OnLive technical FAQ that this is the maximum bit rate of the stream and this was the maximum we were able to obtain when using a test line with no traffic management applied and with the Fibre Extra profile applied.
The OnLive application runs a connection capability test when you first log in, it definitely measures throughput but I'm fairly sure it will also measure other parameters, a warning is shown if the connection is not up to scratch for the service. I've attached a screenshot of this message from when we artificially limited the bandwidth available. Do you see this message when you launch OnLive?
Is it possible that your computer does not meet the minimum system requirements listed on the OnLive website? http://www.onlive.co.uk/support/performance
Let me know how you get on.
Matt
tracycrossan
Dabbler

Matt,
Firstly i must thank you for looking into this in some depth for me.
I have not received any warning messages like the one you have attached, the connection issues seem to start when i have been on the service for a few minutes and playing a game.
My computer is well above the min requirements, but i am starting to wonder if it could be some other hardware issue with my PC.
I will run the routerstats program as you have advised and see if anything stands out and i will also try and get hold of a laptop to test another machine on my network.
Thanks again for your help
matt_2k34
Grafter

Depends on what services your using (e.g. game) it seems that OnLive has had some growing pains from what i can see online (few people complaining of lag on certain games)
Whilst the time of day doesnt matter, does your choice of game matter?
Regards
scootie
Grafter

when my boys had issues last night it wasnt just the game (lego harry potter) it was also the front end/ dash board getting blocking of pixels, thats why i assumed it wasnt game related and more to do with onlive or the great evil that is virgin media