cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet cache server - cache. Akamai.com Lag Spikes Battlefield 4

paolow
Grafter

PlusNet cache server - cache. Akamai.com Lag Spikes Battlefield 4

I'm wondering if anyone can help me or shed some light on my issue. I get terrible lag spikes when playing Battlefield 4 on PC and appears to be from the PlusNet cache server - cache. Akamai.com downloading data via ports 80 and 443. This happens several times at random intervals throughout the game. The spikes are usually around 1mbps. Does anyone have a solution to resolve this issue?
17 REPLIES 17
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: PlusNet cache server - cache. Akamai.com Lag Spikes Battlefield 4

I dont know if this is related , but occasionally i keep seeing the white squares in top screen , which is BF4 signal its losing packets as pings increase
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
AndyH
Grafter

paolow
Grafter

Hi AndyH. It was me that posted this on battlelog. I ran wireshark while playing before and when this happens battlelog is downloading emblems from plusnet cache servers. Do you experience this? Do you think there is anything that can be done about it?
AndyH
Grafter

Ah - so that's not so much use then. I don't really game, so I'm not able to help there.
There was an issue which might have affected things - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,126633.msg1186037.html#msg1186037 But I am not sure if it's fixed/on-going.
Hopefully someone from Plusnet can assist.
paolow
Grafter

Thanks AndyH. Hopefully someone can shed some light.
paolow
Grafter

Does anyone have any information in this? Is PlusNet throttling traffic from this server?
AndyH
Grafter

paulmh5 is hopefully the right man for this one - if he sees this thread Wink
Out of interest, have you tried forcing a different DNS server to avoid Plusnet's Akamai cache server?
paolow
Grafter

Hi AndyH. I have an open dns account. Is it just a case of adding their dns ip's in my router as primary and secondary static dns servers?
AndyH
Grafter

Yeah - or you can do it on your PC under the TCP/IP Settings.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think OpenDNS and Google DNS will usually give you Plusnet's Akamai IP addresses these days. Level3's DNS servers like 4.2.2.2 return different IP addresses for Akamai content.
paolow
Grafter

Opens DNS has give me the same Akamai server. I get the same result. I will try Level3's and then im going back to the wireshark capture I have, to make sure that the traffic is being managed properly. it feels like the Akamai traffic is taking priority over the bf4 udp traffic. Ive in set qos in my router to prioritize the bf4 traffic.
paolow
Grafter

If there is anybody there can you please look into this as looking at my wireshark data all of my traffic whilst playing Battlefield 4 on PC is being classed as bronze - non interactive traffic (0x00).
Below is a link to Battlefield 4 ports. All of the ports in question (for PC) which bf4.exe uses to connect to the game server, cache.akamai.com etc again are all classed as non interactive.
http://help.ea.com/uk/article/online-ports-for-battlefield-4/
PS. My girlfriend also reports issues of not being able to stream from 4oD so I can only imagine that traffic management is not working properly on my plusnet account.
AndyH
Grafter

Is this on fibre/adsl? Wired or wireless? Unlimited package?
You'll need to raise a ticket to get someone to look at the Wireshark data. With a game like BF4, I would be surprised if the classifications are incorrect.
paolow
Grafter

Ive just ran some more wireshark logs and the traffic seems to be classifiesd ok now but i still have the spike of just under 1mbps that causes the lag. Im on unlimited adsl.