Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus Net Fibre & Online Gaming

dizzler
Dabbler

Plus Net Fibre & Online Gaming

Hi All,
My exchange will shortly be upgraded to Fibre so I guess I have options with BT Infinity or upgrading with plusnet.
However I have heard so may bad reports about online gaming in particular MW3 with BT Infinity everybody is saying due to
the high speeds with BT gamers are being hit with lag compensation
can anybody let me know how MW3 and online gaming in generel performs with plusnet fibre.
if you have the same issue i will save my money and stick with my poor 2.5 down and 0.5 up.   
7 REPLIES 7
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Plus Net Fibre & Online Gaming

Console  Crazy or PC  Cool Huh which one do you use
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
dizzler
Dabbler

xbox console Grin
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Haven't got MW3, but certainly playing Black Ops and a few others have been great on fibre.  much better than the adsl2 connection.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I PC  Wink BF3 on adsl2 and have no probs at all excellent connection apart from the occasional hic up  Roll_eyes  my son also has a PS3  Embarrassed
hope full on Wednesday i get fibre  installed  Smiley and will let you know how much better it is  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
pullenuk
Grafter

Always get a lovely fast stable connection - ping always in the green and very often the first one into the game.
However - on Modern Warfare 3 on Xbox I found I do host games. This means your game can go two ways
1. You basically get "God Mode" - your shots register first, before the person shooting you get them, sometimes you can have several "hits" from someone before it actually kills you, when to them all you done is one hit.
2. You basically get your connection "slowed down" so it levels the field - but I find everyone seems to be hard to kill and get you very easy.
Its not Plusnet fault, nor Xbox Live - its actually the game makers messing around with the code in the game. Black Ops is much better, even when you are hosting, everything seems fair. But on Modern Warfare 3 you seem to find it harder to get kills.
I been told streaming a video while playing prevents this and using bandwidth controls on the router to the IP address the Xbox is on works too. I'm currently testing both.
One major different is when my girlfriend goes and watches youtube on her phone on top of the rubbish on her laptop, WHILE sky is downloading a film I never get any lag. So impressive.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've been playing various games online on XBL for the past 6 months or so on a 12mb connection and I've never had a problem so I can't see how things could be any worse with a fibre connection.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pullenuk
Grafter

When you got a 11mbps speed on upload which is almost fast as your download speed - trust me, you end up with the lag problem some developers put in their games.
Console suffer this mostly as they do not use stand alone servers. They use another console to act as the host, which is true on Modern Warfare 3. Battlefield 3 uses EA servers, therefore do not suffer this problem.
dick:quote