Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playstation Network/Qriocity data compromise FAQ

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Playstation Network/Qriocity data compromise FAQ

Here's a quick FAQ that we knocked together regarding the recent security breach affecting users of Playstation's online network. If you want to discuss the incident in any more detail then please use the thread here.
What happened to the PlayStation Network?
Between April 17 and April 19 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion in to the Playstation Network.
There is more information available on the BBC news website here.
What details were obtained?
The details obtained included:

• Name
  • Address
  • Email address
  • Date of birth
  • Playstation Network/Qriocity login details and passwords

Sony have also stated that “While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility,” and “If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained.”
Does it affect me?
If you don’t use, or have never used the Playstation Network or Qriocity then this is highly unlikely to directly affect you. If you have used these services then yes, it has the potential to affect you.
I use PSN and have bought things from the PSN store or have entered my card details on there.
As Sony can’t confirm that credit card details were not obtained then we’d advise on the side of caution. You may want to contact your bank advising that your card details may have been obtained in this manner.
I’ve contacted my bank and they cancelled my card, what should I do?
If you use the same card details to pay for other services then you may need to update your details with those companies. If you use your card to pay for your Plusnet services, you can update your card details here. Alternatively you can switch to Direct Debit at the same page.
I use PSN and haven’t entered my card details on there or bought items from the PSN store.
In that case it’s likely that the personal details advised of above have unfortunately still been taken, including your email address. Please therefore be on the look out for any spam or phishing emails in particular relating to the PlayStation network. It is vitally important that you don’t reply to any emails requesting usernames or passwords or especially financial information.
I use the same username and password across different system
We strongly suggest that you change the password on any websites on which you use the same (or similar) username/password. Should you need to change your email or broadband password you can do so at the following links:
You can change your broadband password here (this will also change the password for your default mailbox).
You can change the passwords for additional mailboxes here.

*IMPORTANT* If you change your broadband password you’ll also need to change the password in your ADSL modem or router, or you won’t be able to connect to the broadband service. If your router is a Thomson supplied by us you can find details on updating your password here.

We’d strongly advise against using the same login details for multiple websites or services.
I signed up to PSN with my Plusnet email address
Be vigilant of suspicious emails, in particular from PSN. You should NEVER give out personal or financial information in an email and we’ll never ask you to do so.
If you’re worried about increased spam you may wish to turn off the catch-all option in your email settings control panel, or perhaps change the name of your mailbox. Both of these things can be performed here.
If you’re not sure how the Manage my Mail settings work, there’s a help page on our website here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵