cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playstation 4 common problem with Plusnet?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Playstation 4 common problem with Plusnet?

Which setup did you use in the end? I was going by what the manual said and wouldn't claim to be an expert, but I'd like to know for future reference.
But what I can say is that some routers will not work correctly if an IP address is outside the DHCP range. The 2704n appears to be one such, but the TG582n for example seems quite happy. In my (limited) experience with these things, even for those within the DHCP range, if it's a fixed IP address this doesn't present any problems, DHCP doesn't try to allocate such an address to any other device.
very452001
Grafter

Ye I went for the DMZ/DHCP in range approach.
Apart from consoles what other devices benefit from having a Static IP addresses?
Why is there online gaming problems on a console when it uses a Dynamic IP address?
Anonymous
Not applicable

The DMZ option you used was that because the Static Address on its own did not work?
Well the use of DHCP over Static addressing is really a matter of what suits you. For myself I always use static IPs by disabling the DHCP server in the router. However, in my experience I have found that some devices require a DHCP allocated address before you can change it to a static one. (A generic tablet I had was one example). So as my router has no wireless capability I use a wireless access point that only has one address in its range, to allow me to connect this type of device so I can then change them to static.
DHCP certainly has its uses but is (in my opinion) only of use when the Client can register itself in DNS and this is not always supported or allowed. A good example is that of a Wireless Printer. If you install drivers on a PC for a wireless printer there will be an IP associated with it. But if this IP is given to another device then the printer appears not to work and all the jobs go to the print spool, leaving you with a ? over your head as you know it used to work.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with what you have done but by using the DMZ you can't use the same approach for another device, as far as I know you are only allowed one IP address in a DMZ, but am willing to be corrected on that.
As for why there are problems gaming with a DHCP'd address I really can't answer that as we have never been a 'victim' of it, but others reading this may know and post an answer.
very452001
Grafter

I recently installed a brand new BT Home Hub 5 Type B.

Ok how do I do all of this again for my new BT Home Hub so my PS4 will show NAT Type 1 in the network settings.