cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playstation 3 (Blu ray)

Euge
Grafter

Playstation 3 (Blu ray)

Apologies if this is slightly off topic, but this is the gaming forum and it's your own experience I need.
I really want to buy the ps3 and set up my broadband as wifi and I want to do it soon because of the changes in the hardware i.e. no backwards compatability with the 'upgrade' 'downgrade' released by Sony. But I've been told, today, by two separate people that the blu ray player melts the discs and I don't know if it's a lie or fabrication. Something to do with the fact that the player runs at a much higher speed and therefore gets extremely warm  Huh I may be looking thouroughly stupid.
Have any ps3 owners noticed this or heard this before? I can't find anything on t'internet about it.
Thanks for any help
Ian
5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Playstation 3 (Blu ray)

I've got a PS3 at home, never had a problem with it overheating, although I would recommend making sure it's well ventilated particularly at the back.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
clockley
Grafter

I haven't heard anything either, but I would recommend getting an intercooler thing for the PS3.  I reckon it should also help your (expensive) baby live a few years longer.
ed
Grafter

Originaly the PS3 got too hot in the UK and that was the reason for the delayed release. These problems should be sorted in the current model. I wouldn't worry about it the XBox 360 had similar problem with our UK 240v supply. Don't buy a dodgy import Tongue
If there is a problem you can always get a refund anyway.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I'm just about to buy a PS3 as well, I've done a lot of surfing about to check the 360/ps3 debate and I can't say that I came across any heat probs with the ps3.
The biggest gripes I hear about is the current lack of titles and the ongoing blueray debate. Only time will tell I suppose on them issues.
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No melted disks but def make sure it's got lots of air around it, they can get hot.  I always turn if off at the mains when not on it as mine once turned on from standby and got very hot inside the cupboard that had the doors shut at the time.