cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping!

tedglen2
Grafter

Ping!

Hello – My pink is 119ms using speedtest website. Is there any way this can be improved. At my old address it was 30ms
Also what does this mean for online gaming
33 REPLIES 33
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Ping!

To improve it move closer to your exchange unless you have Fibre then no idea.  On ADSL your phone line length and the quality of it affects your ping the most.  But don't trust speed test site pings, only way to get a clear idea of what you ping is to a game server is to manually do a ping trace using Dos or a ping tool.
If you have a high ping aka latency  and depending on the game, some will Add in game latency to equal out those with a high ping and those with a low one.  But in a first person shooter, a low ping is king.  So always choose server with a low ingame ping to you if you play FSP's.
But for MMO's its less important unless you get higher than 200ms in game.
Also factor in that gaming and online browsing / streaming do Not mix unless you have the connection speed to allow another online at the same time with your connection.  If you are the only one online then its fine, but if you share your connection then if anyone else is just checking their email that will give you spikes to your latency.  At worst if they decide to watch some youtube/Iplayer etc that will cripple your in game latency to the point of being pointless trying to play that night.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
I can see that you called in today possibly about a speed problem and that we adjusted your profile for you. Bearing in mind that connection speeds will affect ping times what are the speeds like at the moment?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tedglen2
Grafter

speeds have gone up from 6.5 to 15mbs but the ping is still high. is there anything you can do your end? even when speeds were 6.5 the pink was arround the same
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Might be interleaving?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I agree with Kelly it could be due to interleaving. Orders to remove/add that complete on the following working day so would you like me to raise an order to remove that?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tedglen2
Grafter

not sure what interleaving means. if you think it may work? will my speeds stay around 14mbps?
tedglen2
Grafter

is mine turned on or off ?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Interleaving helps to make a unstable connection more stable, but at the cost of a higher ping.  With it enabled I get a 55ms ping, without it around 35.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
tedglen2
Grafter

how much problems can it cause without
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If your line is prone to a fair bit of noise it can be less stable without interleaving but the best way to find out may be to try it - if it does cause problems you can simply request it is switched back on.
Unless you have some kind of fault or a lot of interference then a line capable of 15mb/s should generally be OK without interleaving (sorry I have to put in the 'should' and 'generally' words because all lines are different but I'd certainly give it a go).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tedglen2
Grafter

Could you switch it off then please plusnet !!
tedglen2
Grafter

will 100ms be a bad thing for xbox live ?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We can't say for definite but a 100ms ping should be OK, I personally managed to continue playing over XBL at a time when I had a line fault that caused the speed to drop and the ping was in excess of 115ms.
I'm just placing an order to remove it now, that should go through tomorrow. Keep us posted as to how things go.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yeah, it's not a great ping, but you should be able to game.  You want it faster for shooters.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager