cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping problems - whats going on? Seriously getting annoyed.

Taylor3
Dabbler

Ping problems - whats going on? Seriously getting annoyed.

Hi plusnet
I am on the plus.net unlimited package.  I play the First Person Shooter game Counter Strike-Source.  I am really into competitive gaming.  My team and I take it very seriously!!
In the past I was on a limited download package, (premier option1 or something like that) and for a few months my bandwidth seemed to be being throttled considerably for gaming and I couldn't cope with it any longer, with high latency and ping.  So I moved to the unlimited package.  The first 2 days were GREAT!  Fantastic, I've never had such low latency in game, it was perfect!
However, today my ping and latency have been atrocious!  It keeps fluctuating up in the hundreds, I cant game like this.  It's not my computer, I formatted recently and take very good care of it, I have even tried my spare router and modem to try and fix the problem, but still the same.  This is so frustrating I'm pulling my hair out.  I've noticed other posts complaining about high ping's etc.  Some things going on, what is it?  What do I have to do to get a stable/reliable fast connection? 
Please help?
218 REPLIES 218
KaotiK
Grafter

Re: Ping problems - whats going on? Seriously getting annoyed.

Yep many of us getting these problems, not just you, think we all would like to know whats happening or whats gonna be done to fix Sad
James
Grafter

Re:Ping problems - whats going on? Seriously getting annoyed.

Guys,
We'll announce further information on service status.
As things stand we need to balance the network, but we also have a poorly gateway, which needs sorting before we can balance.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:Ping problems - whats going on? Seriously getting annoyed.

Hi guys,
We'd expected the extra capacity to sort things out and to a degree it has, but unfortunately we had the pipe drop leading to the network being out of balance (which will increase ping times if you're on one of the busier gateways - you can check which you're on at http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway and the gateway graphs are on the portal at http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_packets_drop.shtml)
We've also had an issue with PCL-AG03 (another one of the gateways) which hasn't helped, there's more detail at http://status.plus.net. This has also added to the imbalance, though we're expecting things to settle soon and will keep you posted.
Sorry for the slower speeds and higher pings, we are working on it.
KaotiK
Grafter

Thanks for the reply, good to know its being worked on
ITFCdan
Grafter

I've just raised a ticket as my connection is awful since the weekend , huge ping and download speed more than halved  Sad
Please get this sorted by the 10th of November at the very latest! Angry
scootie
Grafter

it looks like PN have lost control of there traffic mangment platform, am  close to getin my mac code to ITFCdan, had enough of the latency on 21cn. am going to BE on there 3 month contract if this mess isnt cleared up pretty sharpish
ITFCdan
Grafter

Reading other threads it looks as if they tried to correct the problems this morning, well i'm afraid to say its not worked as yet! 240ms ping with MW2 a week away i'm very worried  Angry
Taylor3
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies,
I am still unable to play.  This is horrendous!  I'm paying for this service? 
I'm letting my team down, we have less than 2weeks to practice for i-seriesLAN tournament and i cant play.  I may even be dropped from the team for this problem!
I did the gateway checker and I'm on "City Lifeline, Juniper 10" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as pcl-ag03.  Which means nothing to me...
When can I expect these problems to me solved?  Im so upset!
scootie
Grafter

try a reboot of your router and check which gateway you get and see if its better on that one as pcl-ag03 is the gateway thats bein having some major issues
ITFCdan
Grafter

I'm on thn-agl01 i think is was?
I think there is a way to change gateway but not even sure if it will make any difference? Sad
Taylor3
Dabbler

How can i try change  gateway when im on a Voyager  105 Modem?
James
Grafter

Simply, unplug it and plug it back in again.
Taylor3
Dabbler

I tried that and it kept connecting to the same gateway, however I went and got my old router and i connected to 2 other gateways and they were even worse.
I hate to think how many other plus.net users are having the same problem and are unaware of this forum, or just haven't bothered posting and instead have switched ISP's.
Words cant describe how annoyed i am.  Another wasted night.
KaotiK
Grafter

are these network balancing things happening right now yea? I hope its gonna sort it, 400-500 PING on WoW etc all day, tis been virtually unplayable with the delay.  Angry Angry Angry