Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss / Strange Lag

FIXED
BlitzN
Dabbler

Packet Loss / Strange Lag

Hello,

Over the past week, I have noticed that performance in games has been getting gradually worse, and seems to have even extended to now affecting streams services and other internet related content. In games, I can only describe the feeling as a mix of "rubber-banding / teleporting", where people often comment that my movement looks choppy and irregular, even though my ping usually hovers around 30ms or below.

The main games that I play that seem to be affected by this are Counter Strike : Global Offensive and Team Fortress 2, where using the in game monitor, the loss seems to average around 1-3% in spikes that occur quite frequently, and while they are both games running on the same engine, this issue still extends to other games and media types that involve internet usage. I have read about checking for loss using a "ThinkBroadband" monitor, although this results in a 100% red bar, as I believe the "Hub One" router does not allow for this type of monitoring. I have run some "tracert" tests and have provided them as attached, if any other tests are needed such as "WinMTR", please let me know, where I will endeavor to respond with results as soon as I can.

I have also tried connecting via Ethernet as well as using different systems, which all end up with more-or-less the same result. As a side note, is there any way to check the speed being delivered to my end? I seem to be averaging around 12-14 Mbps as of late, and I usually ended up seeing around 19-22 Mbps going a few months back, although the is not the main issue at hand.

Thank you for your time.

28 REPLIES 28
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Packet Loss / Strange Lag

Hi @BlitzN

Welcome to our community forums.

Sorry to hear of the problems you're having whilst trying to game.

I have read about checking for loss using a "ThinkBroadband" monitor, although this results in a 100% red bar, as I believe the "Hub One" router does not allow for this type of monitoring.

Yeah the Hub One's firmware blocks ICMP. To get round that you'll need to put a device into the DMZ, though I'd recommend a really basic device as it'd be exposed to the elements of the internet.

I have run some "tracert" tests and have provided them as attached

To my eye that looks OK but it's useful to see what route it's taking.

As a side note, is there any way to check the speed being delivered to my end? I seem to be averaging around 12-14 Mbps as of late, and I usually ended up seeing around 19-22 Mbps going a few months back, although the is not the main issue at hand.

If you login to the router settings at http://192.168.1.254 navigating to the Troubleshooting and then the Helpdesk tab you'll be able to see your sync speed (Labelled as Data Rate). What does it show, and what are your speed estimates Here?

Going back to the main problem, this sounds like it may be related to the issues we're seeing over Here

Adding a static IP address to an account fixes the issue there as it means the connection takes a different route across our network.

If you would like to test it out before I return to the office tomorrow I'd recommend adding a static IP online Here giving me a heads up once you've done so and I'll apply a £5 discount to your next invoice which will cover the one off £5 fee.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BlitzN
Dabbler

Thank you for your swift response!

Yeah the Hub One's firmware blocks ICMP. To get round that you'll need to put a device into the DMZ, though I'd recommend a really basic device as it'd be exposed to the elements of the internet.

I will try and set this up tomorrow when I am able, although I am not entirely sure I will be able to do this for extended periods in good faith, seeing how I only have devices I use a lot to apply the DMZ to.

If you login to the router settings at http://192.168.1.254 navigating to the Troubleshooting and then the Helpdesk tab you'll be able to see your sync speed (Labelled as Data Rate). What does it show, and what are your speed estimates Here?

Just had a quick look over, and I'm either going blind or there is no "Data Rate" in the Helpdesk tab for me, I did however manage to login to my PlusNet account and found "Current line speed:14.5 Mb". I ran the BT test as linked, and these were my results;

BT_Test.png

In regards to the static IP, give me a chance to think it over if you will, and is a static IP a one-off payment or monthly, regardless of the discount which I am grateful for. On a side note, our phone line has been dead and just fixed the past few days, don't suppose this is linked however. 

Thank you.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I will try and set this up tomorrow when I am able, although I am not entirely sure I will be able to do this for extended periods in good faith, seeing how I only have devices I use a lot to apply the DMZ to.

Ah fair, at this stage it may be more useful to try a static IP first.

Just had a quick look over, and I'm either going blind or there is no "Data Rate" in the Helpdesk tab for me

Sounds like have the Hub Zero 2704N? I assumed (Wrongfully maybe) you had a Hub One.

I did however manage to login to my PlusNet account and found "Current line speed:14.5 Mb". I ran the BT test as linked, and these were my results;

This may indicate the sync rate might be below the line estimates/expectations, as the current line speed figure on your account should match the IP profile of the line which sits slightly below the sync rate.

In regards to the static IP, give me a chance to think it over if you will, and is a static IP a one-off payment or monthly, regardless of the discount which I am grateful for. 

Oh the static IP will be completely free of charge I'm happy to apply for testing. We can add it internally on your account without charging you a penny, or if you'd like to give it a go sooner you can add it online the fee is one off at £5 which is added to the next monthly invoice though I'm happy to schedule a discount of £5 to offset the £5 charge.

On a side note, our phone line has been dead and just fixed the past few days, don't suppose this is linked however. 

All that said I may be completely wrong in my assumption that this is related to the issues on the thread I've linked and it may just be the fall out from the recently broken phone line you had.

I'll take a look at things when I'm in the office tomorrow.

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BlitzN
Dabbler

I did manage to find a device that I can hook up the DMZ to, and have so far managed to get this from the graph:

ThinkBroadband22-07-2018.png

Doesn't look too bad at all considering, yet I was trying to play the games as mentioned before during this time and was still getting loss shown from the graphs in those games, I could also provide a screenshot of the games data if needed, although I think that would only act as proof of my issue, not really a lead in helping to fix the issue.

You did assume correct, I do have the Hub One, but for some reason could not see any type of data rate line, regardless, we found that it was 14.5 Mbps as mentioned before. Hopefully this can be bumped at some point in the future, seeing how I know that I have been able to get 20+ for months before this issue arose.

In regards to the IP, if would be able to process that, then I would be grateful as it could possibly help to narrow down the issue, just let me know of any more tests that I could run on that IP to see if that fixes the issue (as well as trying to test the games of course).

Finally, our phone line was dead since 3 days ago and was fixed yesterday. The issue I have had here is one that has been going onward of around 1-2 weeks, so there is a chance that the phone line issue had manifested from this, although I'm not really one to say.

Thank you.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the info.
Apologies I didn’t get back to you today and I’m off work tomorrow Sad but I’ll definitely look into this on Tuesday. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi @BlitzN

I've added that Static IP, you'll need to disconnect and reconnect with it.  Let's us know how that looks Smiley 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
BlitzN
Dabbler

Hello and sorry for the slightly delayed response,

This was a graph of when I was testing on the dynamic IP, apologies for the large red blocks, the device I was using as a DMZ got shut off for a while and then rebooted. There were a few spikes off loss as seen from the left hand side, and there was definitely an issue in gaming as normal.

old_dynamic_ip_test-23-07-2018.png

Set up the graph for the static IP which I thank you for setting up for testing. As you can see, there is still evidence of loss and there doesn't seem to have been much change in games at all. Some rather large spikes at times, but more consistently on the graph is the occasional blip, which is probably what I'm noticing, which is strange because the loss is usually consistent but only seems on occasion from the graph.

static_ip_test.png

If you need any other tests run by me, please let me know and I will send the results when I can.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

What does the graph look like now?

That looks like the line is being maxed to me.  Are you uploading or downloading?  Or is that how the line looks when quiet?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
BlitzN
Dabbler

I hope the line isn't being maxed all the time, as I only use the internet at around 5pm onwards, which also seems to correlate to the packet loss on graph.

I can post a picture of the graph later on when I return from work. It does seem that there is a lot of some sort of latency from the usage, even when I'm not even doing anything online which is strange.
Kelly
Hero

I'd agree.  That looks like a serious fault or congestion (or you've something hammering your connection like bittorrent)

Post up the new graph when you're back so we get a longer view.

What are you using in the DMZ?  Is it up to the task of responding in a timely fashion?

Kelly Dorset
BlitzN
Dabbler

The DMZ device is currently my old smartphone that I do not use anymore. It didn't seem to have any issue with internet when I used to use it, and annoyingly it doesn't stay off of standby hence the red blocks when it isn't connected.

When I do go online, it's either gaming, which is less often now due to this issue, or just watching videos on YouTube really. I will check for programs when I get back, but I did check network usage on my computer via task manager and it's not out of the ordinary, with chrome or games taking a few % usage.
BlitzN
Dabbler

Hello,

Got back to check the graph after booting up the DMZ device again, and what do you know, after a few minutes idle it still seems to be the same. The device isn't doing anything download or upload related (besides connecting to the router), and yet it seems to be under pretty heavy latency.

26-07-2018_Graph.png

If it would help, I have linked to the graph instead of uploading pictures every few days.

ThinkBroadband Graph

Again, if any tests would help from my end, I will hopefully be able to run them to find out what on earth is happening.

I don't suppose this sort of... congestion..? could be linked to my speed dropping from 21 to 14.5 Mbps past few weeks at all?

Thank you for your time.

Kelly
Hero

I'm rather reluctant to trust the graphing off of a smartphone.  I've not seem one used like this before so it might well be giving us some false info!

@JonoH We need to look at some other avenues here I think.

Kelly Dorset
BlitzN
Dabbler

Hello,

At this risk of sounding impatient, has there been any update on this? I have been unable to do any gaming for almost 2 weeks now because of this issue, I am willing to send any information you need (within reason), and yet there doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on.

I tried applying the DMZ to a few other devices, and funnily enough the graph either goes all red (probably because most of my internet connected devices have a firewall I would presume), or look very similar to the graph I have already posted on this forum. This actually reminds me of another packet loss issue we had a few years back, which led to unusable internet (for gaming, which I use it for a lot) for 2-3 months!

CSGO_PACKETLOSS_1.jpg

Please do let me know if you need any more information, it certainly is better than being kept in the dark!