Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss Issue

richarde90
Dabbler

Re: Packet Loss Issue

Hello,

I did reply to my support ticket not long ago, I'm still getting intermittent loss. My quality monitor shows loss getting gradually worse into the night, obviously today's is clean as no one has been using the internet at all. I'm super frustrated as I've been through the ordeal of having technicians out and they always say there's nothing they can do, my home isn't the issue but they can't switch my line as none are available!

I had better speed and never had loss with BT though on the same line as now so I'm confused as to what the problem is.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry I’ve left the office for the day so I’ve not seen your reply to the ticket yet. Just thought I’d pop in here.
Disappointing that a static IP didn’t resolve this for you. It’s entirely possible that interleaving that’s enabled on your line is causing this. If that’s the case there’s not much we can do.

I’m assuming you’re using an ethernet connection between your router and your computer? Have you tried/are you able to try a different device?
Also which game are you trying to play?
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richarde90
Dabbler

No problem at all you've been more than helpful, I don't understand the interleaving statement as I've been on another provider (BT) on the same line as now with no loss and faster speed literally a few months ago. There has to be some other configuration at play here.

Yes I'm using ethernet, I've tried other devices and also network devices as mentioned earlier (solely the plusnet router) and have the same experience. Is there no way to reset my line again? It's currently only going lower than 18, I've had it previously where it spikes up and settles back to a reasonable speed?

The game is Counter Strike Global Offensive, it's EXTREMELY impacted by even the smallest amount of loss. It's unplayable.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I don't understand the interleaving statement as I've been on another provider (BT) on the same line as now with no loss and faster speed literally a few months ago.

Interleaving is handled by the dynamic line management (DLM) software at the exchange and will make adjustments to your line as it sees fit pretty much.

Yes I'm using ethernet, I've tried other devices and also network devices as mentioned earlier (solely the plusnet router) and have the same experience. Is there no way to reset my line again? It's currently only going lower than 18, I've had it previously where it spikes up and settles back to a reasonable speed?

As your line is banded/restricted at 18mbps by DLM, and there's no obvious reasons I've arranged for your line to be reset. As this process is a trial for fibre lines due to the way the lines are reset it can take about a week or so for you to see results. Hopefully interleaving is removed as part of the reset but this isn't something we can guarantee.

I'll check back next week.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richarde90
Dabbler

So my speed seems to of popped up but only to 22, my upload for some reason stopped at 2MB so I restarted my router and download dropped to 21 and upload came to just under 6. As before getting a ton of errors showing on my router which is probably why my speed eventually gets managed right?

What are my options when I don't have a line to switch to on my street? It's insane that I have to put up with terrible service and have no out... my phone gives me like 60MB download on 4G+ why can't a dedicated wire give me over 20MB for £30 a month it's mental.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

So my speed seems to of popped up but only to 22, my upload for some reason stopped at 2MB so I restarted my router and download dropped to 21 and upload came to just under 6. 

Sounds like the reset has gone through.

As before getting a ton of errors showing on my router which is probably why my speed eventually gets managed right?

Yeah the errors you're seeing are likely the reason behind the banding.

What are my options when I don't have a line to switch to on my street? It's insane that I have to put up with terrible service and have no out... my phone gives me like 60MB download on 4G+ why can't a dedicated wire give me over 20MB for £30 a month it's mental.

Whilst I'm not entirely sure how mobile data works I'd imagine it's largely because it doesn't have the same limitations of the copper phone line that FTTC does.

We may need to look at getting an engineer out there again but I'd like to look into this in a bit more detail this weekend when I'm back in the office.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Apologies I didn’t get back to you this weekend and I’m off work tomorrow Sad but I’ll definitely look into this on Tuesday. Sorry again for the inconvenience.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm very sorry for the delay in looking into this for you.

Are you still having issues? If so I think we'd need to arrange an engineer to further investigate.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richarde90
Dabbler

Yeah so the speed popped back up so I guess DLM went off, still massive amounts of errors 500k+ on download at one point. Now went down to exactly 20,000 so guess it's back on. Now 2MB below what I was sold again, intermittent loss, huge ping spikes etc.. it's unreal. Sad

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

This definitely sounds like a job for an engineer to look into.

If you can reply to the open support ticket on your account with your availability for a visit I'll be happy to book it in.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richarde90
Dabbler

Apologies for the massive delay on this got tied up with life and work, speed is sitting around 18MB down now and stopped so no idea. I've had engineer out twice as mentioned earlier and they say nothing is wrong and can't do anything for me. I've just noticed on the BT Wholesale site it says WBC FTTP is available in my area... I don't know how that works or if it's even applicable to me though. Do you have any advice on the matter? Smiley

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@richarde90

Unfortunately Plusnet are not accepting new entrants to the FTTP Trial. And they have yet to make any statement about their future plans for FTTP

However other companies do offer FTTP using the Openreach FTTP infrastructure.

There is a partial list of FTTP providers at

Openreach Ultrafast fibre suppliers

Other companies that offer FTTP are IDnet and freeola.

Just go to the websites and get quotes.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries about the delay, life can get pretty busy. Smiley

Our tests aren't showing anything different and given that your speeds are still stuck at 18mbps below your estimates of 25mbps, the only way we're going to progress a fault is likely another engineer I'm afraid for further investigation. 

Regarding FTTP we used to have an trial but we recently closed it to new applicants unfortunately. Putting your full address and/or landline telephone number doesn't show WBC FTTP being available though? Where are you seeing this?

It does say (for me at least) On Demand, which is very expensive form of FTTP not really offered by many providers due to the high cost, because most of the infrastructure hasn't been carried out yet.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richarde90
Dabbler

Ah yes my apologies it's me not understanding the lingo, I still can't comprehend that at the top of my street is a cabinet but my house is served from one MILES away which is why my speed suffers so much. I think because this is a blindspot the general consensus online is just 'Ultra fast fibre is available in your area!' like... no it's not! at this point I saw a sim only deal with unlimited data and tethering the other day and I was tempted to try it... my mobile data is 3x my home broadband speed. Just the stability would probably be similar if not worse.

I'd take you up on the technician offer but honestly I've had them out multiple times with BT and the last 2 it was the same guy.. he literally just said he cannot do anything for me as there are no spare lines and I don't have anything wrong with my setup there is no point me taking a day off work to hear that again. He told me they won't take further action unless I'm getting like 50% of what I'm supposed to get (or something along those lines it was a while ago)

The middle of Retford has literally been forgotten, I could live one street over and have triple down and probably double my upload.

Can you give me a rundown of what this stuff means? I see I'd expect a low speed for myself to be 20-25 but my observed speed is 18? I understand this may be due to contention but I'd expect these estimates to be updated if so. I have lived at this address a few years back and had a solid 27MB down (while still not great was stable and almost 30% more on what i've got now)

EDIT: Just another quick question might aswell get them all done at once, what is the FTTP on demand pricing like? do you have any way for me to estimate the potential cost (obviously hypothetically speaking)

image.png

image.png

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@richarde90 wrote:

Can you give me a rundown of what this stuff means? I see I'd expect a low speed for myself to be 20-25 but my observed speed is 18? I understand this may be due to contention but I'd expect these estimates to be updated if so. I have lived at this address a few years back and had a solid 27MB down (while still not great was stable and almost 30% more on what i've got now)

image.png

image.png

Basically, if you "self installed" your FTTC, i.e. you didn't have an engineer come and check all your wiring etc, BT expects your FTTC download to be between 35.1 - 20Mbps and your upload to be between 7.5-5Mbp.

This is what the handback is about: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/01/bt-wholesale-broadband-checker-adds-downstream-handbac...

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager