Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss Issue

richarde90
Dabbler

Packet Loss Issue

Hello all,

Please forgive any ignorance in my post, I'm not super savvy when it comes to networking however I do know my games and that I am suffering from packet loss when connecting to purely official servers which is making the game in question unplayable. I have ran WinMTR to a few different server IPs and on multiple hosts am getting 1-2% loss, resulting in my final hop having around 2% loss. Other third party servers are fine, so it's unique to this route. I've attached a WinMTR for your consideration.

Feel free to shut me down if I'm completely off base! Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Rich

Tags (2)
35 REPLIES 35
richarde90
Dabbler

Re: Packet Loss Issue

I noticed you guys generally recommend pingplotter so I'll include one of those in csv also. It showed about 0.4-0.8% packet loss over the last few hops.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note.
Moved from fibre to gaming
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Rich.

From testing your line I think there's definitely something amiss pointing towards more of a potential fault than a routing issue IMO as your router is in sync at 18mbps which is below expectations for your line.

Your connection has been dropping in the past 7 days which has triggered the dynamic line management (DLM) software to enable interleaving, which is a form of error correction and can affect latency.

The next step would be to arrange an engineer visit but I'd like to rule out the problem to lie with your internal wiring by connecting your router into the test socket as explained Here. Let us know how this goes and I'll retest your line.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richarde90
Dabbler

I understand there is something amiss with my speed as I have had this issue for a while, technicians have been out and checked everything at my address and found no faults it just eventually drops down over time. I asked to be switched to another line but none are available and I am far from the cabinet I come off of.

In terms of my packet loss, this is only to a specific set of servers. If I connect to anything else I do not get any loss whatsoever, which would lead me to believe it's my routing? I will try the test port but like I have said I've had open reach out twice and they haven't ever found a fault and just apologized that they can't do anything for me. Sad

I will update you tomorrow when I've wired it up to the test port.

EDIT: Oh and thank you for the response! I appreciate your help. Smiley

richarde90
Dabbler

I've now put it into the test socket and am experiencing the same issue. Turns out I am getting loss to other servers as well just appears to not be as much? I did log a fault with plusnet a while ago and haven't heard a thing back, I was told I would be contacted. Sad

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'd like to look into this further now your router is in the test socket and if we're still seeing drops or any other signs of a fault, we may potentially need to arrange another engineer to investigate the Openreach network. 

However I'm not in the office until Tuesday, so in the interim as you've said you're seeing the packet loss more so on certain servers, I'd like to see how things are when a static IP is added to your account as this essentially changes the way your connection routes across our network. If you're happy to go ahead you can add it on Here (I'll be happy to refund the £5).

You'll need to then either reboot your router, or disconnect/reconnect the PPP session from within your router settings.

It may also be worth setting up a ThinkBroadband Quality Monitor Here though if you're using the Hub One router you'll need to put a really basic device into the DMZ for it to ping, as the Hub One by default reject all ping/ICMP requests.

I did log a fault with plusnet a while ago and haven't heard a thing back, I was told I would be contacted.

Sorry I worked and updated your fault ticket when I responded to you here instead of making you wait for our faults guys to pick it up.

You'll be able to view and reply to the ticket from Here though if I remember correctly I think my response there was essentially the same as I provided above.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richarde90
Dabbler

Thanks a lot for your help it's much appreciated, I will set up a static IP now and sort the quality monitor tomorrow. I'm running a 3rd party router (TP-LINK ARCHER VR600 AC1600) as without any QoS I was getting horrible ping when any other user was using  streaming services etc. If it's better for troubleshooting I'm happy to put the hub one back in though!

Yeah my bad on the fault, I was expecting some response or update via phone/text or something as he told me they'd be in touch, I only just noticed I can see it on my account.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries, using your own router should be OK and in this scenario it’s probably more beneficial as you may be able to setup the BQM without having to use the DMZ.

In hindsight on the fault ticket I don’t think I emailed my response to you which I could’ve done (And usually do). Sad

Let us know how things go.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richarde90
Dabbler

Static IP purchased and router restarted. Just FYI I have also tried the PlusNet router and also had the same loss/speed taking my router out of the equation, just incase this was something in doubt. As I said though happy to do whatever to troubleshoot.

Not sure how to tell if my static IP has taken without my lease expiring or something, maybe you can confirm it's worked. Still getting packet loss at this moment.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The Pro Addon essentially adds a layer of traffic prioritisation to your connection by limiting bandwidth for certain tasks so time sensitive things like Skype calls, gaming, VPN etc are better, but it sounds like your routers QoS does that anyway for you.

More info on what our traffic prioritisation does and how it works can be found here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-traffic-prioritisation/
You’ll notice we don’t have traffic prioritisation enabled anymore (Since about this time last year) for residential Unlimited packages, but the Pro Addon basically adds it on an individual basis.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richarde90
Dabbler

How do I get this BQM up and running? I have a monitor setup but am not sure how to configure my router to respond, should I just shove a device in the DMZ and leave it running? how long does this need to run etc etc.

richarde90
Dabbler

Scratch that, think I may of found it? Will enable remote and see how it goes. How long can I expect this to begin to build a decent picture?

icmp.PNG

richarde90
Dabbler

My Broadband Ping - PlusNet Troubleshooting
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Rich.
How are things going with a static IP?
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet