cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSN Extremely Slow Downloads!

Mackins7000
Dabbler

PSN Extremely Slow Downloads!

I've just jumped ship from Orange to PlusNet Unlimited a few days ago and I've noticed downloading is extremely slow.
I had a clan match on Socom (PS3) tonight so I put it on but there was a patch to download before it would let me play.
An hour and a half later it had downloaded 6%, so I search the net and realise PlusNet uses Traffic Management, something they don't advertise when signing up.
So I'm guessing they seriously throttle Playstation Network downloads too, it must have been downloading at less than 10KB/s in my estimation.
Throttling P2P at peak times is a good idea, but throttling game downloads to that extent is completely ridiculous.
Now it's after midnight and the speed isn't much better, all the correct ports are open and I've restarted the router, BBSpeedMax tells me I'm getting download speeds of 816 KB/s but after 35 mins I'm only on 12%.
This is no good for me, does PlusNet offer a 10day trial period like other companies or am I stuck with this for 18months?

13 REPLIES 13
scootie
Grafter

Re: PSN Extremely Slow Downloads!

10KB/s doesnt sound like PN. esp as after midnight it did not improve
on the new unlimited all gaming is capped at 2000kbps down and uncapped on upsteam.
me thinks on your sign up journey you didnt check all the info out. (dont blame you theres enough of it as PN are and try to be open and honest.
check this page for expected speeds on p2p,usenet keep in mind streaming web browsing ect are given top prioity and are uncapped.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml
iam sure adiewoo will help you out as my simpleton xbox brain can not compute such techno stuff as ps3.   just if you have an xbox as well dont tell him because he does abit of an increadable hulk when he hears the word xbox. nah just kidin. but he's your man for ps3 problems.
i switched to the unlimited package from an old PN product and XBL is the same as before tip top and wouldnt trust any other isp with it
scootie
Grafter

unfortently adiewoo not online. but as hes a mod he will be on tomoro Wink
Mackins7000
Dabbler

Thanks for the help dude.
It's just that even if I knew there was traffic management, I wouldn't think it was so heavily throttled for game downloads.
Also on other downloads such as P2P I've never seen it go over 30KB/s even off peak.
scootie
Grafter

defo a speed problem pal. to have a 7150 profile yet get 816kbps on speed test..like i say ive pm'ed jameseh with brief descption of your problem.
p2p is heavely capped bettween 2pm and midniight. but after midnight on unlimited i max my 2500kbps profile line out with p2p
Mackins7000
Dabbler

Ah I get ya, I meant 800+ KB/s pal.
scootie
Grafter

okey. common mistake but i did ask if it was kbps or KB/s twice when i pm'ed you Smiley
30KB/s on p2p after midnight sounds like stuck traffic managmet.
wasnt/ isnt unknow for mangment levels to get stuck on the old products but dont how it works with unlimted and if it's possable for it to get stuck.
waits for those in the know to fhinsh there toast and take on the rat race to work
EDIT: you sure your on unlimited as an overnight p2p speed of 30KB/s is in line with what you would get on value.
James
Grafter

Thanks for the spam ASBO DOG Smiley
@Mackins7000
You shouldn't be seeing PS3 downloads being that slow.  Yes, we do rate limit "download servers" traffic during various times of the day, but it shouldn't take *that* long to download a new patch.
What sort of throughput do you get through standard http speedtests like http://mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
Euge
Grafter

My downloads are fine on PSN with 3830 kbps (479KB/s). The only limit is the fact that psn is just slow anyway I find. Patch's take a matter of minutes.
oplesrope
Grafter

me too. never had any trouble with internets.
Mackins7000
Dabbler

It's usually 6500+ kbps, but today it's at:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 3070 kbps (383.8 KB/sec )   Upload Speed: 181 kbps (22.6 KB/sec)
My line will be stabilizing though so I expect that. But last night I ran the speedtest and it was maybe 6600+ kbps and over 800 KB/s but the patch download was going at an estimated 10KB/s, so I tried something off the store and that was the same, so I asked my mate who lives down the street to try and his was going much faster and he's capped on Orange so he can only get 60KB/s at peak times.
Mackins7000
Dabbler

It's now went to:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 6439 kbps (804.9 KB/sec )  Upload Speed: 363 kbps (45.4 KB/sec)
scootie
Grafter

you sure your on unlimited as an overnight p2p speed of 30KB/s is in line with what you would get on value

why is there p2p not going over the value rate limit?

garybaldi
Grafter

I've had problems since around Christmas time.  In normal times the downloads are perfect and max out my connection (700KB a sec ) but weekdays in the evenings (before midnight) I'll be lucky to get 20k a second.  Wouldn't be too much of an issue if I could leave it to download in the background but for example now my PS3 is downloading a game patch which can't be downloaded in the background.  At 170MB I may as well write off an hour.  Really frustrating!!