cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSN: 30mins to download a 12MB patch?

Azagoth
Grafter

PSN: 30mins to download a 12MB patch?

Just what the hell is the problem with Plusnet and the PSN?  I bought IL2 Sturmovik yesterday and it took half an hour to download the latest update, a hefty 12MB file.  I also bought Killzone 2 too, and I haven't even managed to play that game yet as the 90MB patch it requires takes that long to download that the PSN kicks me off.  Earlier, it took 3 hours to get to 5% complete.
It's not the internet connection :-

That's fine, but using the PSN to try and download anything is like trying to use an old  56k dial-up connection.
13 REPLIES 13
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: PSN: 30mins to download a 12MB patch?

PSN is classed as a download server and thus throttled at peak times, midnight to midday they should fly.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Azagoth
Grafter

This was after midnight, in fact I was trying right into the wee small hours and the speed was non-existent.
dvorak

hmm everything should be a line speed-ish that time of night.
Customer / Moderator
Euge
Grafter

Sounds like it's PSN that is slow not plusnet. I've quite often found that downloads for unrelated things are faster than PSN even though they are classed the same. When the MAG Beta was put up PSN was crawling along.
David_W
Rising Star

Why is PSN listed as a download server, but XBL gets classed as a gaming server?  Do the PSN downloads come from Akami or another blacklisted download server?
dvorak

XBOX game updates are download server too, streaming and gaming isn't - just like the PS3
Customer / Moderator
Grff
Grafter

xbox games have a max size imposed by microsoft, and I don't think it's more than a few mb.  Although,  it seems like they take ages to download too. It's not just the PSN that suffers too.  It's even more of a pain when there's a system update.
David_W
Rising Star

Ahh I see.  I have an Xbox 360 arriving tomorrow so I guess I'll have to be quick with the updates!  I only update my PS3 after midnight anyhow.  Now to figure out how to fit my old PS3 hard drive to an Xbox 360....
HaydnExport
Grafter

i think the kz2 update is ptp of some sort
max99
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
XBOX game updates are download server too, streaming and gaming isn't - just like the PS3

how is this true?  the traffic managment page lists specific portals that are defined as download site/server and xbox or microsoft is not on this list.
i'm moving from pro to premium today and will be super annoyed if my marketplace and xbox game updates start to chug along now i'm on premium.
i had assumed everything on xbox live would be line speed.
dvorak

MS use content providers like akami to host some stuff so that's why it is classed as a download server.
Customer / Moderator
Grff
Grafter

Quote from: dgwebb
Now to figure out how to fit my old PS3 hard drive to an Xbox 360....

If you mean as a replacement to the original drive attached to the 360, it can't be done.  Not in the way the PS3 lets you use your own Hard Drives.
There was a way to upgrade to the 120gb without paying £80 for the official drive. However, it involved buying the exact same model of HD used by MS, and then flashing it and copying your data over.  In essence it's then exactly the same as the offical one, but a fraction of the cost.  I won't go into detail about disk models, software used etc as I suspect that's not allowed on the forum and would only get this post deleted.
If you mean using it as an external drive to play music, video etc, just plug it into the usb port with an adapter, and that should work (if it's fat32 I believe).
David_W
Rising Star

Aye, I read about the upgrade and can get a 160Gb WD hard drive (oddly, cheaper than the 80Gb version), I'd then need to flash the bios on the drive and make the drive believe it's only 120Gb to get it to work properly.  I think it's pretty terrible of MS to limit the drive to only one brand, though saying that, when I upgraded my PS3 hard drive I ensured I got the same speed drive (5,400 RPM) and it turned out I got the same type of hard drive the PS3 uses (Hitachii iirc) just with more space.
Because I went for the Arcade with no hard drive (got it for £111!) I'll have to buy the case and hard drive, I just have a 40Gb hard drive laying around that's never going to get use, unless I stick it in my laptop and have a new, weird way of dual booting, just switch hard drives.  Oh well, guess it's time to open my wallet again and get the hard drive addon for the Arcade, 2010 is so far turning out to be blooming expensive Tongue