cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS4

Devonian
Grafter

PS4

So, who has one, and what are your thoughts?
I have got FIFA, Need For Speed, Killzone, Assassins Creed and Battlefield 4.
I think the console is pretty nice looking, it goes well with my other tv equipment, and the picture on my Samsung UE55F8000 is simply stunning.
The sound through the home cinema is mind blowing to.
What I do want to see is 3D games, the ones I have played on the 360 look stunning in 3D so PS4 3D will be amazing.

I am slightly miffed with the hadr drive though.
It seems the average game being installed takes up 38GB of the 500GB hard drive... which means I will quickly run out of room.
PS4 should have made an option for a budget console and a premium with more memory IMHO.
It says on the official Soy website that you can upgrade the hard drive, and even tells you how, but it doesn't say if this will affect the warranty at all.
Online it seem's pretty good, apart from the recent outage.
Over all I'm pleased though.
8 REPLIES 8
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: PS4

I'm amazed that in these days of multi terabyte drives they've fitted a half terabyte drive as standard.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Justin7
Grafter

The ps4 is a great console, currently playing bf4, cod and fifa. Very happy so far. The hard drive is easily upgradable so should be easy to upgrade in the future, personally glad it's not like the xbone which will void the warranty to change it out. I guess they put this size in to keep costs down. 
welcome to when the next gen becomes current gen!
hex
Grafter

Upgrading the hard drive is pretty easy and does not invalidate the warranty - check out somewhere like this for a quick guide.  Smiley
The PS4 uses 2.5" hard drives and the height has to be 9.5mm or less so the options are not quite as open as you might think - you can find 2TB drives now but they have only recently become more available.  TBH I think 500GB is probably enough for most people - in general you are only playing a few games at a time and the time from inserting a disc (with nothing installed) to getting to a playable game seems to be pretty low in the games I have played so far so uninstalling games you rarely play seems to be workable.
Kinda surprised that with the price sensitive nature of consoles that neither of them have gone for 3.5" hard drives instead given the potential cost savings - it would affect the form factor of the PS4 but I would have thought they could have found enough room in the XB1 for it!  I guess there may be other factors that favour the 2.5" drives though - thinking primarily of heat generation/power consumption.
I have one BTW (with Killzone and BF4 at the moment) - very happy with it in general although definitely hope they improve some aspects of the firmware in the near future.  Also think the store and music unlimited app could use with a good sprinkling of fairy dust to make them more usable. Wink    Only other slight grumble is with the battery life on the controllers  - the charge on the DS3 seemed to last forever but for the DS4 I seem to have to plug em in far too regularly for my liking!
Devonian
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
I'm amazed that in these days of multi terabyte drives they've fitted a half terabyte drive as standard.

My thoughts exactly.
A budget edition, and premium edition would have catered for all I would have thought.
Lots of places say swapping the hard drive wont invalidate the warranty... BUT I am still yet to see anything from Sony confirming it.
wo0x
Grafter

Quote from: clearx
- the charge on the DS3 seemed to last forever but for the DS4 I seem to have to plug em in far too regularly for my liking!

I wonder if opening up the pad to disable the light would have much benefit.
Quote from: Devonian

Lots of places say swapping the hard drive wont invalidate the warranty... BUT I am still yet to see anything from Sony confirming it.

The HDD is intended to be user replaceable. There's no warranty seal on the HDD bay and there's even a guide on the Playstation site https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5107
Devonian
Grafter

I am official bored with my PS4 now. Sad
I have finished Blackflag.. Battlefield 4 is full of serious 'must kill you' types that take the fun out the game.
Fifa... is ok.  Need For Speed is so borrrrrrrrring.... Killzone is pants!
SONY GIVE US MORE GAMES!!!
RichAllen
Grafter

I am planning to get an Xbox One later this year, possibly for Christmas because Project Spark comes out New Year;s Eve.
That's why I'm busting a gut trying to get a job, to earn extra funds for it.
Devonian
Grafter

4 times now since getting the PS4 that PSN has been down for hours.
I am not amused.
It is always in the evenings to.
In the 7 years i had a 360 I can remember Live being down twice.
Not good enough at all Sony.