cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS4 setup - Open NAT?

RustySpoon

PS4 setup - Open NAT?

I've recently signed up to Plusnets Fibre, so am running a Technicolor TG582n FTTC.
Has anyone been able to configure the device/PS4 to get an open NAT connections.
16 REPLIES 16
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: PS4 setup - Open NAT?

Welcome to the Forums
Moved to Gaming as that is where the problem arises and is normally addressed
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi RustySpoon,
Welcome to the Community Forum!
Sorry to hear you're having issues with the NAT on your PS4, there are a couple of things that you can do to work around this however success has been mixed across the two.
The router actually has a 'Gaming Mode' which can be enabled for certain devices by clicking into them in the 'Home Network' section and using the 'Assign a game or application' link at the bottom. This would be a pretty straightforward for you to log in and enable for the PS4. There is also a way to open up the PS4 NAT by reserving the IP address for it so that each time you power up the PS4 it will have the same IP address and then you can add that IP address into the DMZ which will remove all traffic restrictions to and from that IP.
The 'Gaming Mode' options does require a set firmware version for the router so if you're having trouble finding this, just let us know what the firmware version is and we can see if you need an update. You should be able to see the 'Software Version' on the main page after logging in which is the firmware version.
As for the DMZ option, you should just need to click on the name of the device in wired/wireless section of the 'Home Network' heading, then hit 'Configure' in the top right and tick 'Always use the same IP address' option (take note of the IP address). Then just go back and click 'Assign DMZ to a local network device', add the IP and hit enable and this should do the trick for you.

If by any chance you're seeing the Strict NAT message within Destiny, it can be a false report as a lot of people have been seeing the NAT open in the Xbox One or PS4 but then a stric NAT within the actual game.
RustySpoon

So, I've enabled the Game Mode on the router. I've given the PS4 a Static ip address (by entering manually). I've put that ip into the DMZ on the router. This then results in NAT type failed, so I cant connect.
I've disabled the DMZ and are back getting a NAT Type 2.
I've gone into the 'Game & Application Sharing' section and have opened all the required ports for the PS4, but am still getting NAT Type 2.
Software version of the router is 10.2.5.2
My PS4 is connected via network cable.
ghos7em1
Grafter

log into router > localnetwork >find your xbox>tick allways use same ip then put that ip in dmz>restart router>on xbox use auto settings.
ghos7em1
Grafter

i meant ps4  Shocked
RustySpoon

I've done all that and am still getting NAT type 2. At least the NAT actually resolved this time.
ghos7em1
Grafter

@rustyspoon did you telnet into router and bind every udp port the ps4 uses? most people just use port forward from web interface and thats why there nat will never open.every game you play which has a different udp port you need to cone 1st before you set up port forward.thats why plusnet should bring out a better router or they should bind the ports for you.i dont think dmz uses full cone nat thats why you could still run into problems
RustySpoon

Just tried it with Telnet and were able to open various ports (found here http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/PS4/Technicolor.htm).
Fired up the PS4, went to network test....and again NAT type 2.
Think it's time to ditch this rubbish Plusnet router and revert to my old providers router. Now to search for the router settings, anyone have a link to these?
I have a ZyXEL P-2812HNU-F1, if anyone has actual settings.
Justin7
Grafter

Hi
Nat type 2 is good for multi player.  So long as you don't get nat type 3 (strict) , 2 should denote open. You normally get one if you connect your playstation direct to the modem without being behind a firewall but it doesn't usually make any difference!
Hope this helps.
RustySpoon

Thanks for that.  I think the issues must be with Destiny.  I'll have to try COD and see what happens.
I'll still switch to single modem/router once I find the settings. 
wo0x
Grafter

As Justin says, NAT 2 is correct when using a router. You shouldn't be having any problems, but I see that a lot of people are still having issues with Destiny. Hopefully the change of router fixes things for you, as the game can be frustrating enough as it is without connection issues.
RustySpoon

So, COD is out today. 33 mbs connection to my ps4 and low and behold I'm getting 1 bar in game and am lagging everywhere. 
What do I have to do to get a usable connection from Plusnet?
Can anyone point me to router settings for another router?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi RustySpoon,
Sorry to hear that you're seeing additional issues regarding  COD:AW. Can I ask if you're seeing issues in every game you join or is this intermittent and seen every so often?
gravydavey

Hi People
Im also having trouble with NAT Type when playing COD on PS4.
my network settings say NAT Type 2 on the console, but when the game loads up it says NAT Type STRICT,
ive tried the port forward for ports 80,443,1985, 3478,3479,3480 but still no good.
im using the Technicolour 582 router
any ideas