cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS4, Wi-Fi and PlusNet Hub One

danether

PS4, Wi-Fi and PlusNet Hub One

Hello, first time posting here, and I hope someone can help. I think I've exhausted my options Googling solutions to this problem.

I have an original PS4.

I am not very techie!

Just let me get this out of the way: I know ethernet cables are best, but the way my house is configured I can't really run one from the router to the PS4, too many doorways, hard floors, beams. I do sometimes run one along the floor after the kids are in bed, but I can't leave it, as it's a trip hazard!

So anyway, Plusnet customer for several years, recently renewed contract (Unlimited Fibre) and got sent a new Hub One.

PS4 does seem to have particularly poor network hardware, especially compared to my old Xbox and Xbox 360, but trying to get WiFi to work with it is silly. Although I get a reasonable sounding signal strength of 70% +, the upload and download speeds are a joke: a few hundred kbps at most. Can barely open the PS Store, let along game online. 

On the router I've tried splitting the signal provide 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz channels, giving PS4 a fixed IP, port forwarding, and even putting it in a DMZ. 

On the PS4 I've tried changing the DNS, changing the MTU, all the things suggested in guides for fixes online.

With my laptop eside the PS4 I can get 30-40Mbps down, 5-10Mbps up. With the ethernet in the PS4 I can get about 30Mbps down, 5Mbps up. But with the PS4 on Wi-Fi, after all the tweaks, I'm only getting about 2Mbps down, 300kbps down.  

The other thing I'm wondering about is this message on the PS4 Test Internet Connection page: "The router in use might not support packet fragmentation, and some network features of the PS4 might be restricted..." Does that mean the Plusnet Hub One (aka BT Home Hub 5 I believe) is literally incompatible with the PS4? Ie BT and Sony make hardware that just isn't friends? Can that be right? If so, when it Plusnet next upgrading its router?

Any thoughts, tips, suggestions much appreciated! Thanks. Sorry about long post. This has been doing by nut for... well, a while. 

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: PS4, Wi-Fi and PlusNet Hub One

What hardware did you use before you started using the Hub One and what sort of performance were you getting? Why can't you just use that?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

danether

I had the original Plusnet router with seperate Openreach modem, then I bought a Netgear router, which also required the separate modem. I was toying with going back to that, but it seemed counter-intuitive to go back to older hardware with the seperate modem. I just kinda assumed the newer Plusnet router had the potential to be better. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

The Plusnet Hub One is a rebadged BT Home Hub 5a with tweeked hardware. If you consider that the HH5a was released in 2013 you might consider that it's not quite a cutting edge device.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

danether

I didn't realise it was so old. When being persuaded to renew my contract by PN, the talk was of their "new" router. 2013 indeed isn't exactly cutting edge. Wonder when they're going to roll out new ones. 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@danether

The Hub One is "relatively" new to PlusNet. They are the "value" arm of BT so get their castoffs eventually.

Brian