cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS3, windows media server and speedtouch 780WL

dubiez

PS3, windows media server and speedtouch 780WL

Hi,
has anyone with the same setup as me been able to access files from a PC on the PS3.
I've gone through the setup and rebooted several times but the PS3 still can't find my media server.
My PC plugs into the router through USB, the playstation through LAN.
Now that the PS3 can play DIVX, I'm very keen for this to work, it would save me having to burn onto a CD or DVD to watch season 2 of heroes  Tongue
11 REPLIES 11
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: PS3, windows media server and speedtouch 780WL

Don't know if this of interest...
You can install Linux on a PS3 apparently.
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_3
This would certainly let you access networked files.
But any PC can play DivX format can't it?
Why not simply use the PC?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Just for info we have three computers and a PS3. All the computers run XP Home SP2 with all the updates and patches. All the computers connect via RJ45 cables to a Linksys WAG354G router, the PS3 connects to the same router via WiFi. All have access to the internet and work fine, so far so good.
Now the anomaly and part of the answer to your question, we tried testing all three computers to provide media (video, music and pictures) to the PS3 by using Media Player 11 as the ‘Media Server’. On two of the computers it worked ‘out of the box’ as they say, we just followed the instructions on setting up MP11 and the PS3 was able to access the media and play anything just fine. However on the third computer we never got it to work, we don’t know why, and there seems no reason for it not too but everything we tried failed.
So it might not be anything you are doing it might just be one of those computers. When it does work its great and the PS3 displays pictures on the TV fine, it also plays all our music via the surround sound system (linked via the TV) with pretty good quality. The remote control, (if you have one), is super for selecting things and again works just as it should. I hope you can get it to work because it’s brilliant when it does.
Regards, P.
dragona
Grafter

I had my vista machine working with it earlier on when firmware 1.8 came out however now my vista machine wont reply to the broadcast made by the PS3, i thought it was odd so i did the same on my media center laptop and it worked right off the bat... no idea what the problem is with the vista machine spent 2 days trying to sort it out and finally gave up, im now using TVersity (and i disabled transcoding) for the most part my files play perfect... only 1 group of files done and those are using xvid 1.2 final i believe (i have other xvid files running fine).
I'm thinking installing SP1 screwed my WMP 11 media share though seeing as thats the only major change i can think of...
netreg
Grafter

Quote from: dubiez
I've gone through the setup and rebooted several times but the PS3 still can't find my media server.
My PC plugs into the router through USB, the playstation through LAN.

Not ever used a usb connection to a router, but does your pc that is connected via usb have an IP allocated?  Can you ping the ps3 from your pc..
Do you have a firewall enabled on your pc..  that is normally a big culprit...  otherwise it may very well be a config issue with the media server...
sophos9
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
But any PC can play DivX format can't it?
Why not simply use the PC?

I would prefer to chill out on the sofa and watch divX through the 50inch plasma
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I have had a quick look at having my PC as a media server for my PS and didn't get very far  Sad
I feel uneasy about installing Linux on my PS.
There was some stuff about having your PC as a server and linking up with your PS via typing the i.p over the Internet but this would obviously use up your bandwidth and considering moving about large files fairly frequent is not ideal.
Would be interested to hear the solution I have similar setup as Axis.
sophos9
Grafter

On the weekend, I set this up just to test the difficulty and stream videos, photos and music from my main pc. The results were a really easy but powerful setup!

• I'm running vista with media player 11 and the setup took approx 2mins.

• Open media player 11, click on library then media sharing. Tick the box and it will show 'unknown device'. If you are on vista, click 'unblock' if prompted with a firewall notification

• Fire up your ps3, goto Video and do a search for a 'media server'

• You will see a request on the PC for a 'unknown device' to connect, click to allow

Sit back, browse you pc's contents and watch those divx's which play flawlessly!

Ensure your ps3 and pc are on the same subnet and things should fly!
One happy punter here, at last Sony have started to unleash the shackles...
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Searched after posting here and did the exact same thing,  8)worked well but froze up on a couple of occasions when entering folders containing large amount of images.
I also hear that Nero media home works well with the PS with a few more features.
sophos9
Grafter

Yea, I get that too which takes a ps3 reboot! Cool, thanks for the heads up, will give nero a go!
Pendragon
Rising Star

Can I just add a warning note to anyone reading this. We found the PS3 WiFi connection cannot always handle streaming video, but if you connect using the Ethernet cable connection it just flies.
Also if you have problems connecting to your PC it may be a problem with DRM. If you see my post above we had problems connecting one of our three Pc’s, this was because of a DRM conflict on the PC and was solved by deleting a hidden DRM folder on the PC.
Regards, P.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

To be honest at the minute the networking is more of a novelty  Smiley The majority of time I just save my Divx movies onto a memory card and transfer what I'm going to watch onto the PS.