cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS3 update problems during peak times :(

Fad
Dabbler

PS3 update problems during peak times :(

i've noticed recently that all FW updates and game updates from the psn are taking ages to download during peak times Sad it took me about 50 minutes to get a 20meg update for gta4 last night which is shocking and it was similar if not worse last week with the fw update and resistance 2 update.
anyways for all i know it could just be a problem with the psn's servers although i've only noticed tiscali and pipex customers complaining of the same issue which has got me kind'a worried  as they are talking about traffic shaping and throttling Undecided
42 REPLIES 42
David_W
Rising Star

Re: PS3 update problems during peak times :(

Have you checked your bandwith usage?  It could be you are over the limit so getting throttled, or could be that PSN updates use one of the protocols that are reduced during peak hours.  I can't check, I'm over my limit.
Fad
Dabbler

i think i'd only used about 10 gig outta my 30 limit so it was fine. It does noticeably pick up after 11pm but anything before that is very poor Sad the only reason im asking is that it used to be fine or at least as good as the psn servers would allow but something has definitely changed for the worse over the last few weeks  Shocked
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I certainly noticed a speed issue downloading the last firmware update update.
Took about an hour to download which is pretty poor.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Fad
Dabbler

i couldn't even get it on the day it came out Sad in the end i had to download it onto a memory stick from the pc the next day and even that took ages for 128 meg Sad i really wouldn't be surprised if the fault is with the psn although i thought this would be a good place to check it isn't anything to do with plusnet.
dvorak

A mate was downloading it on Be at exactly the same time as we were trying to play COD.
His came down in about 15mins, so not sure if all the fault lies with the PSN servers..
Customer / Moderator
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just been speaking to our traffic management guys about this, apparently downloads from PSN fall under download servers so will be restricted as per that category. The portal is being updated soon to show this too.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Fad
Dabbler

yikes  Huh must admit i've not really followed the website for a long time as things have been great but when did that come in?  Sad
could you also point me to a link explaining all this as i guess i need to know more about it  Cry
bobboulby
Grafter

Fad
Dabbler

cheers for the reply, i didn't know about this  Undecided
im not sure how plusnet are enforcing this but if my download speed is being throttled to 1meg for psn downloads it still doesn't explain the extremely poor speeds im currently getting as a one meg connection should still give me downloads round about 100k a sec.
i've had two 20 meg downloads take just under one hour and last night the 77meg home download took just under two hours although it did speed up near the end as it neared 11pm.
is this worth raising a ticket about? surely there is a problem at plusnets end as these kinds of speeds are more like dial up/ISDN range than DSL  Roll_eyes
bobboulby
Grafter

Quote from: Fad
and last night the 77meg home download took just under two hours

Me too. I started to download the 77Mb "Home" update at around 21:00 and gave up at 22:30. I set it going again at 06:30 this morning and the whole 77Mb took about a minute!
That does seem to be a bit of an extreme difference !!
Bob
garybaldi
Grafter

I've been reading various forums and posts on PSN connection and download speed problems.  I'm trying to rule out various things.  The connection from my PS3 has generally been quite good although never as quick as downloading from my PC.  I just put that down to the PSN service being free and the ammount of people using the service etc.
However over the last few days I've been downloading from the PSN I've experienced terrible speeds.  It's taken 2 nights (few hours at a time) to get 50Mb of a demo down.
Over the past few weeks I've been running speed tests via my PS3 to mybroadbandspeed.co.uk and it's hitting maybe 1.5Mb where as my PC hits 5/6Mb at the time.
I connect wirelessly via a DG834N with 95/100% signal.  I may try Ethernet to rule that out but there are so many factors involved.
bobboulby
Grafter

Please could someone from PlusNet have a look at this - there has to be something wrong.
I set a download of the Red Bull area in Home going at 19:30 this evening (nearly two hours ago) and it still hasn't finished. The download is only 21.3Mb - that's a download speed of <5kbps !!
For comparison, the My Broadband Speed speed test is giving

My sync rate is 8128 and my Profile is 7150.
Bob
dvorak

I did the update for LBP tonight and 13MB came down in about 2-3 mins so I thought things had improved.
My Wii firmware update suffered the same issues on Sat night though  Sad
Customer / Moderator
bobboulby
Grafter

We also did the LBP update this morning around 07:15. The 13Mb downloaded in seconds. My suspicion is that it's something to do with the throttling that's applied to downloads after 18:00.
Bob