cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS3 downloads so slow again.

garybaldi
Grafter

PS3 downloads so slow again.

Sorry if this is also in other posts recently, but why are PS3 downloads so slow for me every night!!  Obviously download server traffic is being shaped at this time of night but I'm only getting around 15k a sec from the PS store.
My connection is fine otherwise, just done a test download or two from laptop and things coming down 300-400k+
I expect PSN/PS store dowloads to be slower in peak times but 15k a sec??  I get a bit hacked off when I go to play a game that needs an update, if its anything of any size.
Anyone else in the same boat?
P.S I'm currently on a my way option 3 account, and have been thinking of moving to the Premium package.  Any benefits other than the the 80GB allowance?
Thanks,
Gary
60 REPLIES 60
garybaldi
Grafter

Re: PS3 downloads so slow again.

Just checked downloads on ps3 again and Its now up to 500k sec+
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Im on unlimited and i dont bother trying to update during peak times, it was better for a while but not now.
The last PS3 firmware update i tried via PS3 first, it did 0% in 10 mins, in the end i downloaded from PSN website via laptop, 2-3 mins.
Azagoth
Grafter

Quote from: mrmarkus1981
The last PS3 firmware update i tried via PS3 first, it did 0% in 10 mins, in the end i downloaded from PSN website via laptop, 2-3 mins.

That's exactly what I had to do too.  Using the PS3 the progress bar was just touching 5% after 2 hours, so I went an downloaded it in hardly any time at all directly from the PSN site and stuck it on a USB stick. 
I can't understand that if, as Plusnet claim, PS3 traffic isn't throttled why there is such a drastic difference in speeds between the PS3 and PC which are using the exact same internet connection.
scootie
Grafter

I can't understand that if, as Plusnet claim, PS3 traffic isn't throttled why there is such a drastic difference in speeds between the PS3 and PC which are using the exact same internet connection.

you will find game demo downloads, updates will tend to be coming down to you at gold plated 0x60 (download servers rate limit) , i dont mind PN limiting the game demo's ect but i wish they could fish the updates out for all the consoles. there is nothing worse than sticking a game in you havent played in awhile to find youve got to wait for a big update to download at half meg maybe less.
and if you on unlimited and any off the game demo's ect are being picked up wrong as gaming, your still going to be hit by the 2mb rate on unlimited
RussB

I noticed the other night that you have the option to change the MTU setting on the PS3. I have not had enough time yet to do any before/after testing, but it might be worth a go if you are experiencing slow downloads at about the same time a PC test zips along.
Russ
scootie
Grafter

rusb it will take more than mtu tweaking to beat the traffic managment  Wink if your on pro or having slow downloads after midnight then by all means give your mtu settings a check over
RussB

Agee traffic management will have an impact. But I've just downloaded a 1626Mb file on my PS3 from 19:26 - 20:56 this evening, which on a line currently at 3000 according to the Plusnet control panel, with other users on the the connection web browsing at the same time, seems like a good speed to me.
beefqueen
Grafter

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense!  I used to be on Sky Broadband and PSN stuff was really, really fast by wifi.  Since moving to Plusnet, PSN stuff has been ridiculously slow - for example, two/three minutes to download an HD film demo.  I'm on Plusnet Premium.  Are you saying that Plusnet deliberately throttle access to PSN even for Premium users but that if I pay an extra couple of quid a month, my PSN access should be much faster?  I would use PSN more but the lack of speed is just ridiculous.  We're not just talking about peak times - this is the same even now, on a Saturday afternoon. 
Thanks!
scootie
Grafter

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#premiumSpeeds
think psn downloads are classed as download servers but maybe download sites. there defo classed as 0x60 ( gold plated) on the traffic mangment queue
ChrisN77

We stupidly rented a title from the PSN video store... I was daft enough to click on the bluray version.... it took about 4 days to download!!! Angry It was ridiculous!  I won't be doing that again anytime soon!  The PC downloads large files fine, but the PS3 takes ages! Sad
Does anyone know if it is the PSN network that is slow, or do PlusNet seriously throttle the service?
I'm not that far from the exchange, and when I do a speed test, with one of the broadband speed checkers, I get ~6500 Kb/s download speed at all times of day......
Any thoughts anyone?
cheers.
Addnan
Grafter

Its not PSN, I download from it fine.
beefqueen
Grafter

Quote from: Asbo
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#premiumSpeeds
think psn downloads are classed as download servers but maybe download sites. there defo classed as 0x60 ( gold plated) on the traffic mangment queue

That's really interesting - so, basically, although Plusnet told me when I signed up I'd get between 6Mb and 7Mb, they only aim to provide me - for the services I'm interested in - with about 5% of my line speed? 
That seems to be deliberately misleading; how do they get away with it?! 
beefqueen
Grafter

I'm trying to download a couple of demos from PSN as we speak and they're ridiculously slow (2% of the Uncharted 2 demo in about half an hour).  Sorry to labour the point but does anyone have any tips to improve (for example, not using the Plusnet router)?
If it's PN throttling the service I'm guessing I should complain about it?  They're not exactly open about their policy towards PSN users so I do rather feel as though they've deliberate misled me into signing up...
Azagoth
Grafter

You can probably take a guess at how high up the priorities this problem is by the number of posts by Plusnet staff in this thread, and in the gaming forum in general.
It's like once they have your money they just don't give a shit.