cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS3 cannot see my network but can see my neighbours?

scoobydoobydoo

PS3 cannot see my network but can see my neighbours?

Hi,
I've just signed up for plusnet, everything works fine when connecting to wifi, except my PS3.  For some reason, my PS3 can see all of my neighbours wifi networks but can't see mine.  Signal strength shouldn't be an issue, I'm sat next to my PS3 now and my laptop and phone pick it up no problem.  I have the default WPA2 encryption on and that shouldn't be a problem as all of the other networks it can see have the same protection.  This leads me to think it must be down to my router (the standard sagemcom 2704N they supply).  I've seen some comments elsewhere that router firmware can be an issue but then it all gets into specifics about router type, etc.  Does anyone know of a solution to this?  I can connect OK using a wired connection but that isn't a viable long term solution - I don't want an ethernet cable stretching the entire length of my flat.
Thanks,
Scooby
3 REPLIES 3
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: PS3 cannot see my network but can see my neighbours?

Have you set your router to hide it's SSID (the network name)? If so your PS3 won't see it but will see others...
I forget how to do it exactly (I've got my PS3 wired to the router), but you can manually specify the name of the router for the PS3 through it's manual wireless setup to search for if it is hidden...
scoobydoobydoo

Thanks for your feedback, but I can confirm that the router isn't hiding the SSID, and when I do the manual set-up on the PS3 and type the SSID in there it can't connect to it.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Maybe this could be of some help, seems to refer to security and the transmission standards used:
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PSN-Support/Playstation-3-can-t-find-my-wireless-ssid/td-p/19...
I'm not too sure about PS3 wifi as like I previously said, my PS3 is wired to my router (improves ping times by a few milliseconds), so I can only make guesses...  Undecided