cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS3 ahead in Euro sales!

mgillespie
Grafter

PS3 ahead in Euro sales!

Microsoft issued a press release yeasterday saying they had passed 10m Xboxes sold in Europe.
http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/press/European_10_million_consoles.htm
In constrast, Sony passed that mark 3 months ago.
http://play.tm/news/26192/ps3-passes-10m-in-europe/
What's interesting here, is Microsoft seem to be spinning this positive, but the reality is, many of those 10m units will be replacements for bans, and RROD units. (I wouldn't be suprised to see that number mean 7m current consoles still in use)
The 18month headstart of exclusivity that Microsoft enjoyed has long since evaporated, with Sony wiping out a year and a half headstart in Europe for Xbox  in a mere 2 1/2 years.
Discuss....

25 REPLIES 25
Euge
Grafter

Re: PS3 ahead in Euro sales!

As funny man Chris Morris once said "Interesting if true"
The xbox popularity is because of the American market, thats where the money is and thats where they are most successful.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Lips_are_sealed just waiting for ASBO DOG
paulmcelroy
Dabbler

Personally I feel that now is a very good time to have a PS3 as it was built to last longer than the 360, (not poo pooing it, it is a great machine) And though the 360 lead the way for the first few years the PS3 was always going to catch up as the hardware is built to last longer and it was not released for over a year after the 360.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I think that the ps3 caught up because people wanted a BlueRay player and at £200 for a player or £300 for a console with BR .... no contest really.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I agree with you there biker955,me ive not really bothered with blu-ray or the ps3,quite happy with my 360 and hd. Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
mgillespie
Grafter

Quote from: biker955
I think that the ps3 caught up because people wanted a BlueRay player and at £200 for a player or £300 for a console with BR .... no contest really.

Frree online gaming, better build quality and better platform exclusives of course.
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
Lips_are_sealed just waiting for ASBO DOG

Smiley <a href="http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/12/video-fun-with-a-microwave-and-ps3/">best fun you can have  playing a mutton dressed as lamb console</a> Smiley
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Funny how times have not changed to a large degree.
I remember at school it was the Atari ST v Amiga.
Anyway I own a PS3, not an XBox so I automatically have the best console Grin
scootie
Grafter

Think sonys best effort was the ps1, Well as thats the only PS ive ever owned it must of bin.  The follow up effots havent got my taste buds going
mgillespie
Grafter

May I ask, what do you actually know about the PS3?  What the media tells you (the mainly American gaming media that supports the American console), or what you have seen?  As clearly Uncharted2, Killzone2, Motorstorm, LBP, Resiatance, MGS4 are all monster titles that anyone that classes themselves are a serious gamer cannot afford to miss.
After playing the M.A.G beta, it totally obliterates what COD MW2 is offering in terms of gameplay and graphics.
dick:quote
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: mgillespie
Quote from: biker955

Frree online gaming, better build quality and better platform exclusives of course.
Well from what i know ps3 online gaming is rubbish compared to 360 and thats from ps3'ers,This is only microcons second console,the ps3 is the 3rd and should be miles ahead which it is not,im not having a flame war,no one here does,its all in good gest!
I remember when i bought the xbox,built in GB was and is awesome,and them triggers man they rock,precise for driving games and others,when i played the xbox i knew this was for us serious hardcore gamers.
Of course as technology has progressed i feel it has actually got worse for robustness,take the old nokia 3210 for example,man i could bounce that of the walls and it never broke,try doing that with the new mobiles though!!
Nothing can bring back the old days with cartridges,moving to cd format scared the hell out of me because i thought that once them cd's scratch its game over for them games,however the cartridges could not scratch and so were more robust.
In my opinion i think i will be sticking with microcons xbox's for the foreseeable future regardless of the reliability issue which may i add only seemed to be major to the first batch of 360's yet ps3'ers still harp on about our reliability,my guess is because thats all that they can harp on about.
(rant over)
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Addnan
Grafter

PS3 online gaming is not crap. It is exactly the same as the 360. PS3 will also be getting party chat soon, so what advantages are there to 360 now? We pay £40 a year for features that are free on the ps3.
I am not fanboy, infact I play my 360 more than ps3.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

From my very limited experience of gaming (only recently bought a PS3) this kind of competitive spirit regarding the consoles is needed just as much if not more when actually in a game. Wink Cool
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

[me=adiewoo]is too busy killing people in MW2 to enter into this now...[/me]
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'