Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS3 System Update

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

PS3 System Update

I may be syncing at 8128kbs but the PS3 system update that it's currently downloading is snails pace Roll_eyes
Yeah I know it's probably from Aka..what's it's name but really..... Wink Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
12 REPLIES 12
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: PS3 System Update

Should of gotten an xbox 360 Wink
Other option? do it through the night Grin And thats the update im on about,nowt cheeky mind Wink
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Addnan
Grafter

Try downloading it from the site if its up yet. Usually takes a bit
It took me 3mins  to download through the console.   Wink
iambatman
Dabbler

my download is ridiculously slow too
40KB/s from the ps3 website and even slower via the ps3
FUCK!
Azagoth
Grafter

I've had to resort to grabbing it from the Sony site on sticking it on USB drive.  Via the console it was crawling, only managed 3% in two hours, and yet on the PC using the same internet connection and router session it was done by the time I'd nipped downstairs and made a coffee.
Yet Plusnet still maintain that there's nothing throttled about the PSN.  Yeah right, pull the other one it has bells on it.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Yet Plusnet still maintain that there's nothing throttled about the PSN

PSN wont be throttled at all, however it probably uses a content distributer (e.g. Akamaii (iirc)) - which means the downloads will listed as 'download servers' - and therefore be shaped accordingly to the package your on.
scootie
Grafter

Should of gotten an xbox 360

whispers * XBL uses limelight CDN and so to gets rate limited on downloads an updates
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Xbox 360 or PS3...it was a flip of a coin.
It came down heads Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Azagoth
Grafter

Quote from: Matt_2k34
PSN wont be throttled at all, however it probably uses a content distributer (e.g. Akamaii (iirc)) - which means the downloads will listed as 'download servers' - and therefore be shaped accordingly to the package your on.

Then why is the same file is downloaded in minutes on the PC yet only gets to 3% after two hours on the PS3?  Surely if it's coming down from the same place on the same connection, and router session, it would be the same on both machines.
Addnan
Grafter

Quote from: Asbo
Should of gotten an xbox 360

whispers * XBL uses limelight CDN and so to gets rate limited on downloads an updates

360 game updates are not allowed to be more than 5MB. MS restrict game devs to 5MB which helps. Some ps3 game patches are over 50MB. When I was with Plusnet I just stopped playing my PS3 because I never had time to update it, during the day it was way too slow and at night, well I'm not nocturnal.
matt_2k34
Grafter

it would be the same on both machines.

not necessarily, both devices will handle the traffic differently, its quite possible the traffic on the PC is being routed incorrectly, and your getting more speed than your supposed too  Huh - shame you cant run a wireshark on the PS3 eh? Smiley
And size really does matter, unfortunately PSN updates *are* massive...
scootie
Grafter

you can capture xbox and ps3 with wireshark, if you have a pc with network card and wireless or 2 lan ports.
just bridge the 2 network interfaces and hook you console up and run wireshark
http://www.twiggymac.plus.com/0x80%20oxm%20report.pcap
xbox cap from time ago when i was helping PN get the streaming vids classed right as they was being picked up as 0x60 gold plated (download servers)
HaydnExport
Grafter

PSN Downloads (including firmware) are not hosted on the same servers as PSN, so as not to affect gaming speeds.
Sony contract out the hosting of Store content downloads and Firmware updates to another company called Akamai
http://www.akamai.com/html/about/press/releases/2006/press_121906a.html