cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS3 Slow connecting/not at all

razcalin

PS3 Slow connecting/not at all

Hi everyone,
I know this has probably been done to death and I have searched around everywhere to try and find a solution. As the title suggests I play a bit of online gaming via PS3 now and again. There has only been 1 instance where I have been able to do this whilst being on plusnet. I am currently running the infamous Thomson tg585 v8.
99% of the time my PS3 WILL connect to the playstation network, allthough it does take a very long time to do so, but will not connect to any game servers on multiple games. If it does they are unplayable.
I have tried forwarding ports onto the playstation, have disabled firewall on the router, upnp is enabled (have tried disabled as well on the off chance), have tried to place the PS3 into DMZ mode but just get DNS errors, have setup the PS3 manually setup default IP & DNS address etc, have tried changing from wpa+wpa2 to just wpa. I have managed to get the NAT type to 2 on PS3 (mainly by removing extended security from the upnp option list) but just dont seem to be getting anywhere.
Yes the PS3 is wireless but is only about 5 metres away and I cannot connect it via wire as I have a 14 month old who seems to have an obsession with wires and also the playstation so I dont see that ending well ha.
As you can probably tell I really am at wits end with this one. I have a generally high knowledge base with this sort of thing but just cant see a logical reason why it isn't working correctly. I have tried to call technical support a few times a while ago but never seem to get anywhere. Whether im not speaking to the correct people I don't know as the people I have spoken to generally haven't had too much clue what I am going on about  Huh
I hope the above all makes sense and any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Chris
3 REPLIES 3
razcalin

Re: PS3 Slow connecting/not at all

any ideas anyone? Thanks Undecided
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

tbh and without trying to sound too flippant, you'd be best off getting a different router.
I've not had any issues with gaming on my PN connection with a PS3
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
razcalin

Dont worry guys. Got it sorted. Flashed the router with the generic thomson firmware which instantly made it better. PS3 would connect but still wasnt 100%. Thomson firmware allowed me to put the PS3 into DMZ without DNS errors and now all seems as it should. Internet seems faster also but i dont know if thats just coincidence....