cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS3 - Playstation Network problems

Idej

PS3 - Playstation Network problems

I keep getting frequently disconnected from the PSN. Last night was terrible, withing 5 minutes of logging in I was disconnected and couldn't get
back ona ll evening.  My wireless connection was fine and I could still connect to the internet via the PS3 browser.
I've read that Tiscalli block the PSN during heavy traffic periods and was wondering if Plusnet / Free Online did anything similar.  I've recently moved to the gamer friendly pro package.
Anyone having similar problems or can shed any light on it?
27 REPLIES 27
James
Grafter

Re: PS3 - Playstation Network problems

Hi there,
There's absolutely no way we would be blocking the PlayStation Network, especially not on Pro!
Do you see any other issues with your actual connection or is it limited to only your PS3 traffic?
Idej

Thanks for the quick response!
No evertything else, laptop, PC, wired and wireless are all fine.
As I said the PS3 can connect to the web via the browser it's just the PSN that it can't connect to.
After I read about Tiscalli I assumed maybe Plus Net used the same traffic throttling during peak times.
James
Grafter

Quote from: Idej
After I read about Tiscalli I assumed maybe Plus Net used the same traffic throttling during peak times.

Definitely not Smiley
I'm not overly familiar with the PS3.  Is it possible to play games online without going via the PSN?
Idej

I'm not overly familiar with the PS3.  Is it possible to play games online without going via the PSN?

As far as I know you have to be logged onto the PSN.  But I only play one game online (CoD4) at the moment so I could be wrong.
Well, it certainly sounds as though it's nothing to do with Plus Net.  I'll try other avenues of investigation
Cheers Smiley
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My PS3 is in the DMZ zone which is supposed to allow all traffic in and out regardless, otherwise I think there are ports that need opened for PS Network.
Spookily enough even though its in the DMZ I still need to open ports to play COD4 on line, go figure  Huh
Have you done the PS network tests what did they say, was there any warnings about connection issues.?
Maybe try signing into your PS network account through your PC web browser if that works make sure you've typed in your name and pass properly i.e upper case and spaces stuff.

sophos9
Grafter

Dude, recently the PSN has been up and down quite frequently which is an a$$ when you are pwning in a game.
Connectivity is tested by using the PS3 web browser.
Look in your network settings and make sure you have a nat type 2 or 1, if you have 3 then you will experience problems.
AWB, if the ip of your ps3 is matched in the DMZ then you should never have to open ports. Personally I only throw mine in the DMZ for testing, much happier manually setting the ports and if the ps3 is compromised and is on the same subnet then the attacker will gain access to other nodes on your internal network. Currently there are no know exploits but be sure it will happen (specially if you run Yellow Dog Linux)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

COD4 is also P2P, so might that have some bearing on it all? Asked that question in another thread - sorry for the double post.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

AWB, if the ip of your ps3 is matched in the DMZ then you should never have to open ports

Thats what I thought, I know that COD4 was having problems when the 2.01 PS update came out and opening the COD4 ports seemed to solve this for me, maybe it was just pure coincidence that I got it to work the same time the game worked if you know what I mean  Huh Grin
I'll try tonight out of curiosty.
Unfortunately my oldish router doesn't have many options for opening ports left and as I have broadband phone, two PC's, a laptop and a PS3 all on static i.p's and all needing various ports opened it was easier to throw my PS3 into the DMZ.
Your right though I need to look at my security again as time goes on some tool will start writing virus for PS3  Angry
Would be handy if the firmware had an option to open for instance the utorrent port for mulitple i.ps as one rule.

sophos9
Grafter

Usually, port forwarding and setting a static IP in a DMZ causes routing issues, what router are you running?
Make sure that both the port forwarding and router firewall allows the common ports, COD4 also needs another 2 TCP/UDP ports to be setup to work properly. Most routers will allow a large amount of rules to be setup (the Voyager 205 is a pain to set ports ranges)
Once you are done, run a ps3 network test and finges crossed you get a type 2 nat
Currently I dont know of any exploits for the PS3
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Running a linksys wag354g, PS3 is in the DMZ with a static i.p and the COD4 ports have been opened to that i.p.
I always get a NAT 2 and the game runs fine, will check tomorrow and see if I have enough options left to open all required ports manually.
In another board they were saying that when the COD4 update eventually comes out there should be no need to open ports to play it mplayer.
I'll sleep on it tonight anyway m8 I'm on the laptop and can't access the router from it but will definitely check tomz.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the head sup sophos9 I took my PS out of the DMZ and manually opened all the ports using www.portforward.com I managed to free up two rules by doing away with the COD4 ports which works fine now without  Cool
Worth noting though a few sites rules for forwarding ports didn't work for me, for instance I needed the rule to be for both TCP and UDP enabled or I would get Nat problems, I'd recommend going to port forward and getting the right settings for your router.
JimP

Quote from: Idej
I keep getting frequently disconnected from the PSN. Last night was terrible, withing 5 minutes of logging in I was disconnected and couldn't get
back ona ll evening.  My wireless connection was fine and I could still connect to the internet via the PS3 browser.
I've read that Tiscalli block the PSN during heavy traffic periods and was wondering if Plusnet / Free Online did anything similar.  I've recently moved to the gamer friendly pro package.
Anyone having similar problems or can shed any light on it?

Am experiencing similar problems but only with COD4
I can log into the PSN no problem at all but then have to wait about 15 minutes for it to log into the online game.
I must admit that I came to Plusnet Pro Gamer to avoid the issues that I've had with Tiscali in the past but I'm not impressed at all as it's just as bad.
Am hoping that once my new router arrives from Plusnet this will sort it out as my current Dlink is an older model, but apparently plusnet are out of stock!! so i'm paying for Pro Gaming broadband and cant play online games!!! Nice!! Huh
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

TBH if you are waiting *only* 15 mins to get into a game you ar e lucky 😉
Loads of Tiscalli punters can't connect to it at all.
Have a look at http://www.infinityward.com/community/forum/index.php?board=30.0
for peoples problems.
Seems I'm one of the lucky ones as i can normally get a game within a couple of mins.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
JimP

I was with Tiscali before, they dont support the necesary servers between 6 - 11 every week night! so between those times you stood no chance!
Aprt from then it was a wait of about 10 minutes to get online.
I now have to wait about 15 - 20 mins, annoying as all my mates it's instant!