cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS3 NAT type

MATTYSOL

PS3 NAT type

can anyone help with changing my nat type from strict? i phoned the customer care line and they gave me a link 2 follow (this didnt work) neither did removing my firewall. So on phoning the helpline back up i was sent here 2 the forums :o.  So if anyone can help i would be very grateful.
thanks  Huh
19 REPLIES 19
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: PS3 NAT type

Welcome to the forum MATTYSOL
Please advise which router you are using.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MATTYSOL

Hi it is the Thomson TG585 V8
dick:red All caps edited as per forum rules
Strat
Community Veteran

And you have uPNP enabled on the router or configured your PS3 with a static IP and set that IP up in DMZ on your router.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

That router works ok if you set the PS3 to just get auto settings right across the board and enable upnp on the ps3 and the router and in the router tick the box to always assign the same ip to the ps3.
I have gave up with this router and boxed it up as a spare until possible firmware updates solve some of it's problems. IMO and I have yet to hear other wise but forwarding ports and DMZ'ing this router (with a PS3) just doesn't work. Unless someone wants to tell me how they did it that is. Using UPNP is not the best way of going on PSN, I'm not going to pretend I know why!
I have gone back to my old router and my download speeds have increased by 1meg and disconnections from PS games have totally stopped since I did 4 week ago.
My observations are that this seems to be an issue between the ps3 and the settings the router gives out, I notice that when I DMZ the ps3 from my BT router it gives the PS3 different Ip's etc than the Thomson and if I try to add them manually the ps3 says that the ip's are outside what is allowed or words to that affect.
Save yourself a whole lot of bad heads and router re-boots and go straight for upnp. This may not apply to forwarding ports to computers though I've never tried it. The upnp bit seems to be the elephant in the room, the amount of posts I see where advice is given to forward all the ports needed and then enable Upnp. There should be no need to do this it's an either or situation and all you end up doing is camouflaging the fact that port forwarding doesn't work.
mrbuckfastPS3

Thomson also make the hubs for bt ,I had lots of trouble with the 3 i went thru.I haven't used my Thomson router i got from plus net,If you ever experienced the" downloding settings" mw2 and  where sitting 30 + mins like lots of people i know including myself.did you have black bt hub or a Thomson?
seemed People with the black hubs had prob and people with old white hubs no probs well the people on my list anyway. since that and 3 that failed on me in 7 month's made my mind up.

Now i just been reading about a possible loop with plus-net and port 80 it wasn't in gaming section,
you see the thing is i / we getting so mauled in every game black ops after 12 am 3 -4 weeks im convinced as im getting host ,coming last  and my team is slaughtered.Last night this morning
I got 3 hit markers  psg  snipe rifle and one was a head shot  i watched in slo mo, then when im on last stand i get another 6 python hit markers on him but he killed me .that's just an example ,i have posted clip beside one from last week 27 rounds to kill a boy  i was about a cars length away  and its sole destroying .
so could there be some kind of prob at plus net i been signed out couple times with dns errors in last few hours.
and i total agree about this port forwarding just seems like that standard addvice what if its is plusnet ,
I get host and get worst ever games and come last every one else that gets host is top  as close to, and it gets worse early am that's when i know i shouldn't be getting lag,
has this been happening to anyone else?
Epyon
Grafter

NAT 1 (opened Wired/Direct)
NAT 2 (opened Wireless/Routed)
NAT 3 (closed Wireless/Wired)
Strat
Community Veteran

When I fire up Black Ops on my wireless PS3 on uPNP if I have Moderate NAT I then close the game and re-open it...I have OPEN NAT...a bit annoying but works every time.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I have the 2wire BT2700 business hub, just to clear up epyon post Nat 1 can be wired or wireless I think. Nat 1 is not behind a firewall or router Nat 2 is behind firewall but all necessary ports are open and nat 3 some ports are open but not all that's needed AFAIK.
If your PS3 is truly DMZ'd in effect assigning it your public ip you should be on nat 1 . The business hub up to press is the only one I have used that achieves this. My Thompson V8 will get you a nat 2 on either wired or wireless using upnp but I get kicked out out of BFBC2 and MOH tier one servers about every 3rd game. Could be more games but that's generally what I play online.
I'm glad this posts getting some interest  Smiley The thomson is just not ps3 friendly IMO I wish I was better qualified to explain why  Grin All I know is that DMZ'ing the play station is the best way I and all the people I game with have managed to get round any PSN problems and the Thomson just doesn't work with port forwarding or DMZ.
PN really should look at it as a matter of urgency, maybe there aren't enough PS players with PN to make it worth their while although looking at the amount of XBOX people with Nat issues I don't believe it's PS specific. I got the router just because I fancied a new one and signing up for 12 month to get it free as it wasn't an issue I had no intention of leaving yet anyway but If I had signed up to get the router to find it wasn't fit for purpose I would be miffed off.
When I use my BT router I get the line speed I am supposed to and speeds that are just under what I should achieve, from that I can't blame PN traffic shaping or management. The problems arise when using the supplied router. I often look at posts in gaming and broadband and routers and think try another router your problems stink of the thomson.
I hope PN do something about their choice of routers because I think the majority of problems lie here and makes a decent service look bad.
As an example anyone using the router and had either DMZ'd or forwarded ports successfully with it and suffers no connections issues please post your settings here and we'll see if we can iron this out. 
ddch1

HI,
      I'm having problems playing online on my ps3, i mainly play fifa11 and call of duty black ops. When playing fifa i have great difficulty connecting to an opponent online and when i do most of the time it disconnects midway through a game, which results it a loss for me. It says i have a restricted firewall? How can i change this to open? also on black ops it says i have a strict NAT type, is there anyway i can open this? I have tried forwarding ports but it made no difference. Would getting a different router help?Huh
                Pleasee help geting really frustrated with it know thnx ddch1
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Which router do you have?
ddch1

Its a Thomson TG585 V8. I asked plusnet if a different router would sort the problem, but they just said maybe
ddch1

Cheesy problem sorted got a new router and everything works fine now , looking forward to black ops and fifa11
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Did you get another Thomson TG585 V8 or a different router?
BTW PSN AWB70
ddch1

No, my dad had a spare Netgear router, everything seems to be running fine at the minute. From what i've read online those Thomson routers seem to be a heap of ****!!!  My mate has a BT broadband and he was having the same problem, he said his BT router was made by Thomson aswell. Is that your PSN name?