cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS3 GT5 Prologue Connection Problems

bobboulby
Grafter

PS3 GT5 Prologue Connection Problems

Is anyone else having problems playing GT5 Prologue on-line? I can get it to work in the early morning (before 08:00) but after that I get "you have been disconnected from the server" or "unable to connect to host" error messages and am unable to join any races.
My router is a Netgear DG834G and I have UPnP enabled. I have tried putting my PS3 in to the router's DMZ but it makes no difference.
I don't have problems with any other on-line game - Motorstorm for example works fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks - Bob
14 REPLIES 14
bobboulby
Grafter

Re: PS3 GT5 Prologue Connection Problems

I briefly thought I'd cracked this.
After some further on-line searching, I followed some advice and changed the UPnP mode from mode 1 to mode 2 (this is under Options > Miscellaneous > Network in the GT5 menu). I then managed to connect to 2 consecutive races but then I was back to being disconnected all the time.
Back to the drawing board ...
Bob
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
Its been a long while since I played this online, can't recall having issues when I have played online but I'll get it out again.  I've got a Motorstorm Pacific Rift  league qualifier session tomorrow night so might not be till Tuesday before I can try it out.
bobboulby
Grafter

Ok thanks. I notice it's not on the list of defined games, would this make any difference?
It's been working fine this morning (between 07:00 and 08:00).
Bob
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
Not sure if this will help but found this articale about online play for GT5 Prologue
http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/news/articles/detail/item98146/GT5-Prologue-online-help/
The port mentioned is defined as PlayStation AMS
bobboulby
Grafter

Hello again.
Yes I'd seen that article on the PlayStation web site. I have to admit that I don't really understand all this "port" stuff. I haven't explicitly set up a pot forwarding rule for port 3658 but it's defined on the UPnP screen in my router (see attached). Also I've tried putting my PS3 in the router's DMZ (which I believe effectively opens all ports to all traffic) and that made no difference.
There doesn't seem to be a widespread problem with GT5 on-line or I assume it would be all over the net. That's why I was wondering if it might be a PlusNet problem.
Bob
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: _CN_
Hi,
Its been a long while since I played this online, can't recall having issues when I have played online but I'll get it out again.  I've got a Motorstorm Pacific Rift  league qualifier session tomorrow night so might not be till Tuesday before I can try it out.

I'll take a look tonight and get back ...
bobboulby
Grafter

Thanks, I'll be interested to hear how you get on.
I've had two tries this evening. The first at 18:00 I managed to connect to every race, the second at 21:00 I was getting "disconnected from the host" messages on about 50% of my attempts.
There seems to be a pattern of problems in the late evening - presumably when things get busy.
Bob
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

OK, have found the issue -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_5_Prologue
<start>
Updates
August 2008 (2.20)
18. Added port 5658 to the ports used in Online races
<end>
I'll get this sorted later on as a packet capture while playing at home shows that indeed 5658 is the port in use.

bobboulby
Grafter

It's great that you've found a potential problem - hopefully your fix will sort things out.
Would you mind explaining in a bit more detail what the fix is. I don't understand why it worked sometimes and sometimes not.
Bob
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, the new port was unknown to our platform and further inspection of the payload in the GT5 traffic could not identify what the traffic was.  So the GT5 traffic flow would have been 'unknown' and during peak would have experienced high latency and packet drops.  The BBYW Pro product is designed specifically for gamers as this 'unknown' traffic does not experience this high latency and packet drops during peak times thus gaming experience is good at all times, HTH
bobboulby
Grafter

Ok makes sense. I assume you've made the change so I'll try and test it tonight. I can't really justify moving from BBYW Option 2 to Pro by the way.
Thanks for your help - more great support from PlusNet  Smiley
Bob
bobboulby
Grafter

I've tried this several times this evening with 100% success. Looks like problem solved although I'll continue to monitor.
Thanks again for your help.
Bob
bobboulby
Grafter

Hi, I was having problems again this morning (around 07:00), almosts if the change had regressed. Unusual as you wouldn't expect this to be a busy time.
I'll try again tonight.
Bob
bobboulby
Grafter

Hello again. I just though I'd report back to close this off.
I've been playing on and off since my last post and have had no connection problems at all.
Looks like problem solved.
Bob