cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS3 Download Speeds

chewie
Grafter

PS3 Download Speeds

Hi, just wondered if anyone had any tips on optimising download speeds on the PS3 (wireless connection) as it seems pretty sluggish.  Doing a speed test the results are around 500kbps & on my desktop speed is around 5500kbps?  (Running my laptop wirelessly & that seems to be working fine).  Has anyone got any ideas???
4 REPLIES 4
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: PS3 Download Speeds

Don't use wireless is the simple answer, get Cat5 or patch cable[no idea which the console uses] and wire it to your router when downloading big updates, but wifi and gaming don't mix
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

The PSN downloads are rate limited so it is throttled. The start of the week is busier on the network and it's also patch Tuesday so all those windows pc's will be updating.
Best time to do it is after midnight or first thing in the morning.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
chewie
Grafter

Hi, thanks for the replies.  Just to confirm, I'm not downloading anything from PSN.  I'm just using I Player through the web browser which I didn't think was streaming too well so did a speed test and the results were poor compared to my desktop and my laptop (which was also connected wirelessly).  I just wondered if anyone new if there were any obvious settings I'm missing on the PS3 or my router which could be changed to optimise throughput speeds (I've checked the signal strength on the PS3 & it's pretty good - around 90%).
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

OK... I have streamed iPlayer through my PS3 too and think it sucks TBH. Think it's a combination of the browser on the PS3 and the iPlayer generic flash page.
Tried the same program straight after on my laptop and it was perfect.
I have my PS3 in the routers DMZ and it's great for gaming and gets good speed for downloads out of peak.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'