PS3 DNS error 80710102

hiflier
Grafter

PS3 DNS error 80710102

Hi
My son's PS3 is driving me mad!
I keep getting this error code.
So far I've tried;
Putting PS3 in DMZ on Router (Vigor 2800VG), Automatic and Manual settings on PS3, different DNS settings (using Plusnet ones and others from gaming forums), opening ports on the router pointed at the PS3, and everything else I can find suggested by PS3 forums.
The PS3 finds the wireless on the Vigor, but only if I set it manually. DHCP does not allocate an IP address to the PS3, but works perfectly with a laptop and a Wii.
Can anybody help me to resolve this problem please?
Thanks in advance.
Ian
5 REPLIES 5
paulby
Grafter

Re: PS3 DNS error 80710102

Have you got MAC whitelisting (MAC address locking) enabled on the router?  Have you added the PS3 to the station list (or tried disabling locking temporarily)?  The router won't allocate an IP address unless the PS3 is in the whitelist.
See here.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I have an issue with my PS3 that the bluetooth knocks conflicts with the wireless signal and can't communicate properly with it.
Can you try either using an ethernet cable to your router or using the usb cable from your PS3 to the controller to see if that helps.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
hiflier
Grafter

Paul03
It's not the fact that DHCP won't allocate an IP address that's the problem so much, but this error code is "DNS Error".
The PS3 won't connect to the internet. Even when I set manual IP addressing on the PS3, although it gets an IP address (192.168.1.19) it still baulks at the DNS.
MAC locking is off.
adiewoo
Wireless signal is 75 - 100% on the PS3, so i don't think that's the root of this problem. Cable connection to the router would be a bit difficult to try as it's about 15 metres+
between them.
Apparently my son had to do a full reset on the PS3 as an update from Sony was corrupt(?). We've manually performed an update to the latest version, but it refuses to see any DNS servers. It used
to connect before, when he actually used it to connect to the internet. I'm not sure if the PS3 software is the problem, or if it's router related. I can't see anything in the router setup that would block it.
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

I did have a simmilar problem after updating PS3 firmware a while back, Resolution was to manualy enter all the info.  Don't know about wireless though, I never game over wirless, it blows.
Although if you are getting a 100% signal over a 45 foot distance that sounds like one beefy WAP.  With Wired though, and I know that it has worked for other people aswell, just manualy inputing all the info, including the PN DNS Servers and saving and then rebooting the PS3 was enough to make it work.
Using open ports and DMZ makes no difference for DNS related issues in general terms. And as a rule of thumb, always use the DNS servers of your ISP (in our case 212.159.6.10 and 212.159.6.9) unless you have a really good reason not to.
Could you run through in detail what you get when you go through the steps of manual IP assignment for us, it might help if we know exactly when it goes gaga, and what messages you get when it does.
Thanks
hiflier
Grafter

Hi MuppetGrinder
Many Thanks for the response.
I've finally got it to work  Grin
Looks like the PS3 didn't like the router working in both WEP & WPA modes!
Changing the Vigor 2800 to WPA only cured the problem instantly. Haven't got a clue why, as it worked in this mode before.
The 45 feet distance is cabling length. Direct distance is only about 15 feet.
It's my sons PS3 so I don't know if he's going to game over it or not. He's just made up that I've got it to work again.
Ian.