cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLUSNET! PSN is nigh on unusable.

Azagoth
Grafter

PLUSNET! PSN is nigh on unusable.

Right, today I bought 'Lost Planet' on the cheap, a fiver, as something to kill a bit of time.  Anyway, before the game would even start it required a patch to the latest version, luckily the patch is only 21MB.  So can you please explain why it took just over 30 minutes to download this patch at 03:00 when my speed and everything else about my connection is perfectly fine?

So Plusnet Staff, I ask you this question.  Do you consider 30 minutes to download a simple 21MB patch to be acceptable?  I know what I think, I think it's a fucking joke! 
I eagerly await your usual copy and paste reply.
26 REPLIES 26
Azagoth
Grafter

Re: PLUSNET! PSN is nigh on unusable.

Oh look, the post has been here for a full working day with no comment.  Plusnet must really not give a [Censored] about us poor saps who like to play games on the PS3.  I pay my £14.49 per month without a problem, as do many other customers, so why do Plusnet think they can just take the money and shaft us by putting a limit on how we can use the Playstation for what is it's main purpose?
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The downloading of the patch, is considered to be P2P downloading, and may be capped at a speed, depending on the time of day it is being downloaded.
I usually set my patch downloads and stuff going overngiht, doesn't bother me how long they take then.
The network has been designed so that you can still play your games, without the network being bogged down with everyone downloading updates. - It was done this way, so those who are playing games, can do so without interruptions.
Azagoth
Grafter

I notice you haven't answered my question.    Do you consider 30 minutes to download a 21MB patch at 03:00 in the morning to be acceptable?  Also, I 'm not liking the arrogant tone you're taking here, especially given the fact that you're a member of the Company.
The downloading of the patch, is considered to be P2P downloading

Why would it be classed as P2P traffic?  The PSN is nothing to with P2P at all.  I suggest you take a closer look and get it sorted.
The network has been designed so that you can still play your games, without the network being bogged down with everyone downloading updates

Do you even know how the PS3 works, because to me sounds as if you don't have a clue.  For the PS3 to even load the game the patch is required.  So please tell me again how this network has been designed to allow me to play the game.
I usually set my patch downloads and stuff going overngiht, doesn't bother me how long they take then.

Please tell me that you're not being serious.  Did you not even bother to read my post before coming up with the standard Plusnet 'cut and paste' reply?  This was at 03:00 in the morning.  Not mentioning the fact that I don't feel like leaving my PS3 switched on all night, well not unless you're going to offer to pay my electricity bill that is.
SilentBoBuk
Dabbler

I would like to add a comment here 1st of all downloading a patch is p2p and from where (country ) that the patch is located can  explain why the patch has taken so long this server you downloaded it from may have exceeded its download usage and wasn't reset so this is not necessarily be a plusnet problem and could well be a problem from the download content when servers exceed there limit they will generally download at 15-20 kps
just thought id let you know this
This apply's to both pc-xbox and ps3
smiffyb36
Grafter

I'm failing to see the arrogance too, I just see a simple direct reply.
BrianE
Grafter

The fact that your speeds were fine otherwise more or less confirms that it's not PlusNet's fault - stop whining like a child about how PlusNet are out to get you; if they say it's not traffic shaped 0:00-08:00, it's not traffic shaped. End of story. Have you considered the possibility that the game's servers were slow, under load, or that the PSN caps the speed to avoid more congestion?
Those are extremely likely, especially as downloading updates from the PS3 used to take half an hour, even though it took a few seconds on a computer (VM don't traffic shape, they only speed cap after using more than a few GB in x hours)
Summary - it's not PlusNet's fault, not even anything to do with them. 3am in the UK is peak peak time in the US (7pm-9pm, depending on region), making it even more certain that it's on Sony/the game studio's end, not PlusNet's.
Azagoth
Grafter

So 30 minutes to download 21MB before you can even start to play a game is acceptable to you?  I have to say though, it's pretty strange that if I connect my PS3 wirelessly to my neighbour's BT connection the speed instantly shoots up to line-speed.   Yet if I stick the wires back in and go via Plusnet the speed drops to being useless.
BrianE
Grafter

So 30 minutes to download 21MB before you can even start to play a game is acceptable to you?

Did you read a single fucking word I said? It's not PlusNet's fault. I doubt you switched to your neighbour's BT connection at 3am to download it quickly or you wouldn't be here. You know there's traffic shaping during the day time, so your neighbour's will be faster for certain things during that time. But at 3am, peak time in the US, it's not PlusNet's fault. It's on the PSN / game's servers' end, nothing to do with PlusNet.
So your question of whether it's fucking 'acceptable' isn't relevant to PlusNet, is it?
SilentBoBuk
Dabbler

Azagoth
1st i would like to say it maybe or may not be PN's fault how ever you should never assume that its your providers fault straight away (as not always the case) if you are having issues with this you should post your enquiry straight away on the ps3 main forums for related issues with download speeds  and if there is any server maintence going on as this is a regualr thing with both xbox and ps3  due to the capacity of users world wide. Y ou should be patience 
the PC communtiy has had this problem for many years just because you are a console player doesnt meen you have the right to complain without checking the facts 1st  we all must wait for certain things to wrk correctly tolerate the service your getting as things can only get better.
ps. plusnet have been providing a adequte service  on there forums you should appreciate this service as not many providers will offer you this service with a quick and accurate responce's
Azagoth
Grafter

Oh look, the Plusnet fanboys are out in force.  
Just for your information though, and I'll make it easy so you can understand it, Plusnet have already stated in other threads on the same topic that the dire performance experienced by quite a few PS3 users is down to them, so you can stop your bugger now.  All I want to know is why they deem it necessary to heavily throttle such an integral part of the PS3's operation, because as I'm sure you know, some games won't even allow you play if they aren't fully updated.  
jim:red unacceptable language removed mod:end
BrianE
Grafter

I'm not necessarily a fanboy, you're just not being fair here - I doubt they throttle the PSN when everything's at line speed (0:00-8:00), do they?
Unless they've been actively lying to everyone  Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think you are all missing the point
Although P2P traffic isn't rate limited in the unmetered period it is still prioritised as stated here
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_prioritisation.shtml
The  Priority Levels are
    * Platinum
    * Titanium
    * Gold & Gold Plated*
    * Silver
    * Bronze
    * Best Effort
and the table shows that P2P comes lower than the other protocols at all times even though there isn't a rate limit.
Thus if you are on Value then it is given the best effort classification (loosely described as "tough" everything is better than it)
If you are on Extra then it is classified as Bronze which is a bit better but still takes a lower priority than everything other than Best Effort
SilentBoBuk
Dabbler

old jim hi  have just been given this website is this accurate or is it a load &*^%
http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm
o and why is that this info is showing plusnets traffic and when i look through the website on other providers it shows me nothing on there traffic is this honesty i see or is it as i said above?
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The information on that website, is accurate and correct. It was created by a member of staff at plusnet i believe.