cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Game Recommendations.

CapMan
Dabbler

PC Game Recommendations.

Let start by saying that I am new to 1st person shooter games as until now my PC has always been a little under powered, but now I have a PC with a E8400 3gig CPU with 2gigs of RAM and a Geforce8500GT 512MB graphics card Vista Home Basic OS.
So a few days ago I picked up a cheap copy of the original Call Of Duty which I have now completed and really enjoyed playing.
So now for my question can anyone recommend any other good 1st person shooter games that would be suitable for a beginner like me.
Oh one last thing mush be single player.
Keith.
15 REPLIES 15
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Re: PC Game Recommendations.

Hi,
It depends what you like but stalker shadow of chernobyl (£10) is good as is Call of duty 4 on single player .
If you are looking for an online game BF2142 is very good and worth having a go at. The first time you play on line you get shot to bits but soon pick it up Smiley
Merrick
Grafter

Go out right now and get Half Life, then get half life 2 and episodes.
Half Life is the mother of the current generation of FPS and it just blows them all away still. The opening sceans of Half Life set the story and its story driven all the way through. It just sucks you in, its dated in graphics now but still playable for sure, 1998 game.
Its what started me on FPS and since these games i have found many fps empty and lifeless. Call of Duty and Call of Duty 4 are fun, but still not a shade on the story and puzzels of the half life games.
If your into PC games at all its your birthright to play half life, and then go get Syndicate as well, another brithright, if not fps  Cool
And follow that by downloading EVE Online and kiss goodbye to your real life and welcome your EVElife  Cheesy
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You could also try Far Cry (not Crysis as your PC won't handle it) for £5.00 or less (one source is play.com)
CapMan
Dabbler

Cheers everone for the advice. I was talking a a guy a few door down from me last night about fps`s and this morning he turned up with Half Life for me so that is one of the list Smiley
Keith.
Merrick
Grafter

yeah Far Cry is another one of the kind of ground breakers, it was the first to have the levels that are massive and they are rendered as far as the eye can see, you can cross them in loads of ways, it also had some graphics things which where new.
the ending is a bit of a let down but its well worth playing  Smiley
CapMan
Dabbler

I saw FarCry in my local Game store the other for £4.99 and I`m considering getting it latter this week.
Oh and Jim according to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest I can run Crysis as I meet the minimum, but for the Recommended its just just my graphics card which is lacking.
Keith.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have an E6750 2.7GHz 4GB ram and 8800GT overclocked - it runs Crysis but only at low frame rates.
Crysis is a real graphics card killer.
CapMan
Dabbler

Well I am new to these fps`s so Crysis can wait until the price drops on 1 gig graphics card. Plus I really need a new HD first as I`m nearly out of space on the two I have installed. Plus another 2 gigs of memory wouldn`t go a miss.
Keith.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Don't forget that unless you go to a 64 bit operating system a 1GB graphics card will limit the available RAM to about 2GB regardless as to how much you put in.
CapMan
Dabbler

Oh I didn`t know that. Oh well I guess I will have to stick with what I have at the moment and look around when I have a bit of spare cash which will be god knows when.
Keith.
iainmacmillan
Grafter

try online to get the U.O. add-on for COD or get COD2, then have a go at COD4 - the single player campaign is utterly excellent.
others to try are Battlefield series, again, you should be able to pick up the bundles for BF2 and 2142 easily enough, check PLAY, AMAZON and local bargins in shops.  Halo (not the Halo2 Vista only), Quake 4, Doom 3, Ghost Recon AW, Enemy Territory:Quake Wars, Unreal Tournament 2004 or III, and Frontlines - Fuel of War are all worth a shot.
My favs would be COD/Battlefield/UT series.  With an X-Fi surround sound card, some of these games are very cool and enjoyable, you can here the sniper rounds, and when your about to be attacked.
the end of the this year will see the latest COD and BF games released.
Prod_Man
Grafter

As other have Suggested.
Go right through the CoD Series, your  Graphics Card will go up to CoD:2 with no problems Wink
CoD:4 will probably run, just in SM2 rather than SM3. I can give you a Configuration File to make it run pretty fast on many Graphics Cards...
Half-Life & Half-Life: 2 are quite fun, I would imagine they'd be fine on an 8500GT...
Unreal Tournament didn't really have as much of a riviting Objective aspect to the Game but there are eliments of Objectives in Assault Maps.
So yeah, UT, UT2003, UT2004 - probably not UT2007 that's on par with CoD:4.
The Quake series are cool. I even played Quake 1, 2 when I was reaosnably bored on an old PII Laptop...
Quake 3 and 4 when I was reasonably bored on my Desktop Tongue
I loved playing the Rainbow Six series, Ghost Recon was quite cool as well.
Unreal was tacky, but had some funny aliens xD
Unreal 2 & Unreal 2: The Awakening were quite fun.
Doom 3 is pretty cool, blow some heads off and stuff Cheesy
I never was a fan of Battlefield or Medal of Honor..
ah well to each their own..
Hopefully some nice titles in there which you can find / try Smiley
Jim,
muller7152

If you like 1st person shooters give Wolfenstien Enemy Territory a try (it's free). It can be downloaded for free and even though it is quite old now it is still very popular with hundreds of players worldwide.
You can download the full game at
http://games.softpedia.com/get/Freeware-Games/Return-To-Castle-Wolfenstein-Enemy-Territory-FREE-FULL...
Then download the most recent patch version 2.60b from
http://games.softpedia.com/get/Patch/Wolfenstein-Enemy-Territory-Patch.shtml
If you do decide to give it a go try the Hirntot 6  server on the list as they are willing to assist new players and you play as a team.
You will find that it takes a few days to access some servers including the above this is due to new player guide rules.
I have played practically all the other shooters but still keep returning to the one above known as ET.
Once again if your stitched for cash it's FREE. : Grin
Eric (BECK on shooters)

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Bioshock if your system will handle it. I also quite like the F.E.A.R. games (pretty sure your system will handle those).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵