cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC COD4 Lag Spikes

naughton07
Dabbler

PC COD4 Lag Spikes

Over the past couple of days, i have been experiencing severe lag spikes on all PC COD4 servers. My ping jumps from 40 to 160 for about 2 seconds but this is long enough for me to get owned. I have made sure all the necessary ports are open, COD4 and punkbuster are enabled by my firewall and i have no other applications running which would use the internet. Throughout this, my fps remains a constant 40-60 so i was wondering whether i am experiencing internet problems. I have also noticed that web pages are loading slower then they usually would but then i did a speed test, the results said it was fine. Has anyone had this problem with COD4 before and is it the internet at fault?
Regards, Matt
6 REPLIES 6
scootie
Grafter

Re: PC COD4 Lag Spikes

you could run ping plotter to the one of the server ip's and see which hop is causing the spikes. http://www.pingplotter.com/
naughton07
Dabbler

I ran pingplotter and the biggest hop came from my router to the plusnet server (1 to 2) on every IP address i tried. It would jump from 1 to 20. I also found that it woudl hit 60-70 when passing through the plus net gateways and go back to 40-50 when it reached the server ip.
scootie
Grafter

can you tell me one of the ip address that your pinging and i will see what results i get.
Take it youre using a wired connection to router?.
If not disable windows wlan auto config or install this little program called WLAN optimizer. stops windows doing an auto search for routers around every 30 seconds  which causes a ping spike.
can you also paste a screenshot of ping plotter please.
naughton07
Dabbler

The Ip address is 193.200.158.201
Yep, im wired to the router.
I get ping spikes in game of 999 every 3 minutes for about 5 seconds.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b78/TPsnake/Ping-1.jpg
scootie
Grafter

your photobucket image link has nothing on it.
ive done a ping plotter to the ip you gave. not the best to compare against as it was done on wireless with wlan optimizer running.
Prod_Man
Grafter

Some advice...
Enable Console

\cg_drawlagometer 1
\cg_drawfps 1
\com_maxfps 125

Lagometer has two lines, Blue line indicates Snapshots from the Server of the playing field,
Green lins is the latency of packets between client and server.
Reducing Latency:
1. Increasing maxpackets but not exceeding maximum upspeed of your connection.
2. Increasing the number of snapshots per second from the server.
3. Increasing stability of Frame Rate.
1. \set maxpackets 60 [default: 30]
2. \set snaps 30 [default: 20]
Increasing these freqyency between server and client will reduce latency where possible.
3. Frame time also affects your ping. Don't believe me?
Set your Maximum Frame Rate with \set com_maxfps to the number of snapshots, you'll have a ping of "0" but an unplayable game...
because there is not a large difference in time from the snapshot being recieved and rendered by the game.
My advice is keep a stable frame rate - reducing details if necesssary, I would exchange details for frame rate.
Make sure it is at least twice or any larger integer multiple of the number of snapshots to ensure smooth rendering.
snaps 20: com_maxfps 60, 100
snaps 30: com_maxfps 60, 90, 125 - Why 125 and not 120? 125 == Physics Calculation frequency of the engine.
Hope that helps to some degree...
Jim,