cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening ports?

KaotiK
Grafter

Opening ports?

Hey, i seem to be having trouble with BF4 PC at the moment? disconnects and long loading times im sure its down to ports. Do i need to setup a static ip to do this? or? if so what dns servers do i use etc?
18 REPLIES 18
ghos7em1
Grafter

Re: Opening ports?

goto port forward.com and choose your router then battlefield 4 ports.if you are using technicolor router make sure you select always use same ip
KaotiK
Grafter

Im using the plusnet router...? do i need to setup a static for that?
also thinking of buying a new router, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-DSL-N55U-Wireless-Streaming-Warranty/dp/B007QTMCHC/ref=sr_1_1?s=compute... would this one work with my adsl max 8mb connection?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi KaotiK,
You will indeed need to assign an IP address to the PC you're playing games on so that you can point the required ports back to an address on your internal network. It should be explained on portforward website that ghos7em1 has pointed you to.
As for the router, this should be fine for your connection although it could be a little overkill for the ADSL Max connection you receive however the Gigabit LAN and Wireless N would help you with transferring data between your home devices.
KaotiK
Grafter

hmmm did the static ip thing. forwarded ports following the guide but the ports jsut arent opening? dont kow what im doing wrong.. but gettings disconnects in bf4 cuz of it!
KaotiK
Grafter

just cant get this to work.. Is there anything on the router i need to enable or disabled settings wise to help issues like this?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi KaotiK,
Could you confirm the firmware version of the Plusnet router you're using (if you haven't purchased something we already)? There is an alternate setting that can be used however this only appears in the later versions of the firmware.
Also, there is a trick to adding the PC into the DMZ which will open up all traffic to a from the PC, this could fix the issue however it can open the PC up to some traffic that would normally be synonymous with security issues. I tend to only do this myself if I need to host a server and can't be bothered with adding additional ports for it. If you do look at this option I would suggest only enabling the DMZ when you play BF4.
KaotiK
Grafter

Software Release: 7.4.4.7
is that what you mean? its deffo gonna be an older version as iver never updated it before. How do i update it?
KaotiK
Grafter

Updated firmware now. what to try next?
ghos7em1
Grafter

log into ur router and go to firewall and turn on gamemode think thats what he wanted you to try Smiley
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Afternoon all,
@KaotiK - Good work on getting the router updated, I was going to see if we could do this remotely for you but you managed it without any help at all  Cool
@ghos7em1 - You're on the money there! That was exactly the next thing I was going to suggest we try.
KaotiK
Grafter

turning on gamemode, is that disbaling the firewall? as there was 3 options, block all, standard, disable
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi KaotiK,
This should just open and cone the ports required for gaming traffic on the most common ports so you shouldn't have any need to worry about anything being opened that shouldn't be.
KaotiK
Grafter

Spot on thank you and appreciate it. All works fine Smiley
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi KaotiK,
Glad to hear you got it sorted with the firmware/game mode fix! Also thanks to ghos7em1 your input  Wink