Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Source Games - (Clones)

matt_2k34
Grafter

Open Source Games - (Clones)

Hi All!
Wanted to start a thread, which gives a list of Open Source (not just free) games which are *specifically* a copy/clone of another game. Whilst similar to the Free online games thread i intend to keep this one up to date (last edit of a main list was 2007 on that post  Shocked

Please, offer up suggestions of games you'd love to see cloned - and if there are any current projects to bring it (back) to the masses

The List So Far:

Original GameCloned Game NameDetails
Theme HospitalCorsixTHQuarterly releases of Beta Builds, pre-built source available, encompasses about 80% of the original game, and is very stable and actively developed!
Transport Tycoon DeluxeOpenTTDVery "good" clone of the original TTD, very addictive, many GRF packs and scenarios available - Supported by an Open Music + Open Graphics project
EliteOoliteVery stable and actively developed -Appears very customisable, runs on very low specs.
CivilizationFree CivA very good take, on the original (two) civilization games, mature, stable and still under development
WormsHedgewarsA Classic game which hasnt changed much.
RollerCoaster TycoonFreeRCTNot much to show just yet... but its under active development (even over xmas 2012..) so looks like this could be a good'un

Games We'd love to see cloned - but there currently is none Sad

Game NameDetailsAny projects based on the original  / commercial games *similar* to the originalAny related projects
Dungeon Keeper 1/2Possibly one of the best games Ever madeOpenSource: None? -- Commercial : Dungeons
Theme ParkAnother "test of time" Bullfrog Game (has lasted very well, if it wasnt 16 bit and behaved better in DOSbox, i'd still be on itOpenSource: None (there were some available but they've died) -- Commercial : Any other the "latter" in the series (When EA ruined them Smiley )
Populous:The BeginningAnother "Bullfrog Game -- i still play this! Smiley but it needs upating, in "hacked" resolutions the mouse can be unreliable, and a lack of "assigning groups to number keys" is annoying. Also no auto save (which i found out the hard way! Sad )OpenSource: None -- Commercial : From DustPopulous still works online, guides and help Here

Please post your suggestions for ones to be cloned, or any information on projects that you've seen... I love playing older games many (such as OpenTTD) have really built on the original game and turned it into something addictively special!
Please note tho, i dont want this to be some wikipedia style list - ONLY games which are "worth" the effort of going through should be here... So anything that shows promise and is being developed = yay, anything thats stale, buggy and abit shoddy... lets not bother Wink

Matts list of whats been edited:
03/08/11 - Added games i'd like to see cloned
02/10/11 - Added hedgewars to the list.
30/12/12 - Added freeRCT
12 REPLIES 12
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Open Source Games - (Clones)

EliteOoliteVery stable and actively developed

Just thought I should add the above. Cracking game and a genuine improvement on the original.
Now, hopefully someone can tell me where I can find an open source version of the original Exile...
matt_2k34
Grafter

Interesting find, not one id heard of! (original OR the clone)
Smiley Added to the list.
David_W
Rising Star

You never heard of Elite?  It's one of the all time top classic games, an icon of it's era, it's a bit like saying you've never heard of Doom or Call Of Duty or Leisure Suit Larry... but I digress Tongue
You have Free Civ which is a clone of Civ.
Agree with you for OpenTTD, when my computer went down so only had my laptop I just played OpenTTD for hours, just wish the AI wouldn't cheat and plonk and airport down next to mine so it becomes impossible to upgrade the airport at a later date.
matt_2k34
Grafter

just wish the AI wouldn't cheat and plonk and airport down next to mine so it becomes impossible to upgrade the airport at a later date.

Oh dear! Landscaping toolbar, Blue "signpost"  -- buy the land around the airport, no competitor can expand into your "space" anymore, i tend to attempt to limit the AI, by buying large chunks of land *around* its terminals when it would be detremental to my services. (They can have maybe two lines, but 3+ = no no no! Smiley
an icon of it's era,

I *may* just be a little bit too young for that. My intro into PC gaming came with the "hover" game that came on the Windows 95 disc!
When id been 'good' my dad used to pull the Atari out the loft, and id be allowed to play with it for a few days if i was *really* lucky, this would only last 2~3 days until he'd got bored of playing with it himself/was sick of being nagged at that there was keyboards + tapes etc. in the living room Tongue
Elite is a seminal space trading computer game, originally published by Acornsoft in 1984 for the BBC Micro and Acorn Electron computers

6 years before i was born... 😛
I still have my SNES though Smiley -- if it wasnt for that, i probably wouldnt be as big of a geek as i am now Smiley
I shall add free civ now, thanks for the suggestion! Smiley

Also the reading around the BBC micro etc. was very interesting Smiley heh
Regards
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I was brought up on the BBC B Cheesy
Check out http://www.stairwaytohell.com - basically seems to be an archive of everything BBC/Electron based, though I suspect if your first experience of gaming included 3D graphics then 8 colour pixellated 2d may lack some excitement. It shouldn't do though.
Also, give Oolite a try - you'll probably be surprised, though no matter whether you decide to be a trader or go into combat, you'll need to spend a fair bit of time trading anyway to get your monies up.
geminidj

Bump to this.
http://www.hedgewars.org
Clone of Worms 2 / Armageddon / World Party.
But, it doesn't just clone the old games, it also adds a stack of new weapons. All very funny and keeping in with the style and aesthetic of the original worms games.
Very good fun.
matt_2k34
Grafter

updated the list
just installing hedgewars now! Smiley looks good
Regards
matt_2k34
Grafter

List updated, and tweaked...
So its been some time - anyone found any more games that are worth sharing?
What about stuff you'd LIKE to see? there are some very talented people with far too much time on their hands kicking around im sure Wink
Matt
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Wouldn't mind a decent remake of the The Last Ninja series, and Marble Madness could be good too. Might have a google later.
Ooh, and Cannon Fodder. And Sensible World of Soccer. Surely those would work online? Imagine!
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Ranarama.  Epic game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranarama
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Blim
Grafter

openarena = quake 3 arena. bit old thou  Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Quote from: Matt

EliteOoliteVery stable and actively developed

Just thought I should add the above. Cracking game and a genuine improvement on the original.
Now, hopefully someone can tell me where I can find an open source version of the original Exile...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20897768
Excite you much? Cheesy