cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online lag ps3

HaydnExport
Grafter

Online lag ps3

I'm getting terrible connection to mw3 at the moment , ping test and speedtests fine, but my ip is showing me near derby when i'm actually in anglesey north wales , would that make a difference
13 REPLIES 13
HaydnExport
Grafter

Re: Online lag ps3

HaydnExport
Grafter

I'm still getting terrible gaming atm , so bad i hardly play it now,  unless it improves significantly i will be changing isp's soon. My friend who is on plusnet , a mile away has a great connection in the same games that i have terrible ones , makes no sense to me.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Something not right there.  Have you raised a fault?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
HaydnExport
Grafter

I had a line fault a couple of years ago that drove me mad , had a decent enough experience on black ops , but mw3 is a joke , i was wondering if it had anything to do with i keep showing up as from around london on speedtests , when i'm from anglesey in wales !
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd guess your connection will be routed that way at some point, though not sure why it's showing as your location. Either way I'll take a look at things and see if there's something obvious, if not then we'll have to dig a bit deeper.
flaminmoses
Grafter

Im having a similar problem in the last few days on fifa 12.
im in div 1 h2h (well was)
my players cant turn like they used to and so get closed down quite quickly as i cant get away from trouble quick enough.
noticed on clubs too my team is suffering because im a really influential type of player.
checking pingtest etc im the same as usual.
dunno whether its the ea servers tweaking things or if something has changed re plusnet.
HaydnExport
Grafter

Thanks matt
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, I wondered if it could be IP based but it seems not as a lookup on your IP only shows as Great Britain rather than being any more specific. That could well be why it's being picked up as London though as that'd be the most likely default if there's no information other than country specified (as in this case).
HaydnExport
Grafter

Any other ideas?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just been informed that it's reported as London because that's where our servers are (i.e. where your connection leaves our network and joins the internet). The IP information shows that the block that your IP is a part of has been allocated to us (Plusnet) and that's where all our connections are routed Smiley
Hope that helps explain a bit more.
EDIT: Should say, I doubt this is anything to do with the slowdowns on MW3. Are you playing on console or PC? If console, have you tried the fix from the library (http://community.plus.net/library/gaming/increasing-gaming-compatability-with-the-thomson-tg585v8-xboxps3pc/) and if it's made no difference have you tried rebooting the router? We've noted that sometimes a reboot can speed things up, especially if torrents have been used on the connection.
HaydnExport
Grafter

I'm using a netgear dgn2200 , ps3 in dmz , open nat .  Router gets rebooted every week or so
HaydnExport
Grafter

I have always used the maidenhead server on speedtest.net to test my internet , and it seems my ping to there has gone from around 45 to 87 , has there been a change in how my net gets routed to the internet ? As i used to show up from where i live not london.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi HaydnExport,
We have done some routing work recently as per the recent announcement posts at http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2, we've noticed some other posters on here questioning the fact that their IP addresses now identify them as coming from London. It's nothing to worry about and everything should continue to work fine, providing your pings haven't increased by the same amount to all servers? I'd recommend trying a London speedtest.net server to see if that improves things for you.