cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online gaming

Sanitas

Online gaming

Hi!
I'm an avid gamer. I play games most of my free time, if not all. I mostly play MMO's (Massivly Multiplayer Online) games and am quite fond of the gaming program Steam.
The download speeds for when i've purchased a new game from Steam are great, sometime ranging from 1-2mb p/s (much better that my old provider) and I usualy get the game in a lot less time than the estimated time it gives me.
While this is great, when I actually get into the game my ping is atrocious, however. In games such as World of Warcraft I will have perfect connection with no lag for the first 20-30 mins, but then it will suddenly drop in a massive lagspike and the game become unplayable. This can be fixed my relogging, but this also sometimes causes my Thomson Gateway to disconnect from the internet entirely and taking up to 10 minutes to regain connection.
When playing games such as Killing Floor or Day of Defeat, my connection will again start at perfect condition, then drop (or rise, in this matter) to high amounts, somethimes 600-800 ping causing horrible lag and when I use my Xbox Live connection it will say the NAT type is closed or strict (I'm not sure if this is to do with my xbox or to do with my Thomson Gateway.
I've tried resetting and using ethernet cables but it just doesn't change anything as my gateway demonstrates the exact same behaviour. I've looked around your forums and seen other people with similar problems to mine, but I was just hoping that maybe my problem is different and can be fixed down my end.
Thanks in advance,
                                    Sanitas
Edit:

I also took a speednet test, here are the results.
4 REPLIES 4
brokenthumb
Grafter

Re: Online gaming

Couple of questions and pointers.
1) Are these delays specific to a time of day?
2) Is interleaving off? That helps a lot with latency.
3) If you have a Windows PC, Google the 'Leatrix Latency Fix', also, if you use Firefox, Google 'Firefox Pipelining', but, read very carefully, do not proceed if you are unsure.
4) When it does go Pete Tong, try to get a ping and tracert, to the host server, then post here for far more seasoned heads than I to look over.
5) Beware the Skype, it can gobble bandwidth, have a look at a game booster, maybe the IOBIT one.
6) You said 'ethernet cables', if you play wireless, is anyone else hogging?
7) Last resort Wireshark, but, WoW is so well established, it's covered.
Hope that helps Smiley
edit : forgot the obvious one *doh*
Cool Use the test socket, and, if possible a different router, repeated failings after a given period of time, could be capacitor canker, especially with the 10 minute 'cooldown'
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sanitas
This can be fixed my relogging, but this also sometimes causes my Thomson Gateway to disconnect from the internet entirely and taking up to 10 minutes to regain connection.

Your high ping is a symptom of a problem.  This is the problem.
It sounds like you are experiencing bursts of noise on your line, which your router is trying to compensate for.  (It may also indicate a faulty router).
Grab a corded telephone, place it by the PC.  Next time you get a lagspike, pick the phone up and see if you can hear static (dial 17070 and choose Option 2 for a quiet line)
Also, if you have access to an alternative router, it would be worthwhile trying it!
I can assure you that Steam games and WoW are *definitely* picked up by the traffic management, so they should be prioritised.  Your problem is likely between you and your exchange.
B.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

3) If you have a Windows PC, Google the 'Leatrix Latency Fix', also, if you use Firefox, Google 'Firefox Pipelining', but, read very carefully, do not proceed if you are unsure.

Doesn't this just speed up your web browsing, not gaming?  if i have it wrong i will give it a go but everything i have read suggests it speeds up browsing and page loading.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

It's recommended for Wow ping issues.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager