Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnLive Introduces The Future of Gaming

tywyn
Grafter

OnLive Introduces The Future of Gaming

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/965/965535p1.html
http://www.onlive.com/
OnLive is set to launch later this year and offers a streamed gaming service, thereby removing the need for high end PC hardware to play the most powerful games. The game is stored and processed remotely and streamed back to the user.  So theoretically it's possible to play Crysis on a notebook.
I'm quite interested in this product but as it needs a 5MB stream for HD quality  I wondered if this would be sustainable on my PN connection during the day?
'A 1.5 mbps connection (which is usually what base-level DSL is rated at) is required for standard-definition video (480p), while a 5.0 mbps connection is required for HD (720p)'
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: OnLive Introduces The Future of Gaming

Yep - Read about this earlier today.
Would cause mahoosive increases in the amount of gaming traffic.  There's an article about it on ThinkBroadband where they quite rightly point out that under the current market, the money you may save by not getting a top of the range graphics card, you'd probably have to spend in usage charges.
tywyn
Grafter

Yes I can imagine it will cause a massive increase in usage which is why I asked if it would be sustainable,  as with the present infrastructure it's hard to imagine it would be sustainable by any ISP.
Thanks for the thinkbroadband link, for me it will be dependent on cost. I would happily pay perhaps £15 a month for access to say 500 - 1000 titles as I'm used to paying a monthly subscription for games such as WoW. It certainly looks interesting and I'll be keeping my eyes peeled.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Ah, you guys beat me to it. Just read about this too and am rather excited.
Bring on bigger better broadband though!!
Euge
Grafter

Until I suppose fibre optics, being the next step, gets implemented accross the country this really is just tomorrows world stuff. I can only imagine that usage charges would come down at that point as well. Considering the advancements already made but just feel sorry for Australians who rely on satellite technology for there, not only slow but, expensive broadband usage. At least with England being a small country it will happen sooner.
Tyreal74
Grafter

I still dont think it will kill off consoles - or be the next gen becuase you still need a pc or a mac...i know people who dont even own a pc or mac becuase they have a console.  i like how they said entry level pc as well...
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

I will definetely be keeping my console regardless of this announcement.
Part of me really hopes it works but part of me doesnt.
I would need to get myself a serious drug habit to stay up and play in the free time after midnight  Cheesy
Euge
Grafter

I can't imagine plusnet allowing people unrestricted access to downloads after 12 if people started using 100Gb a week.
p.s. I've no idea of a realistic value for downloads because of this game streaming thing but I imagine it to be a lot.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Keep an eye on the blogs section for my take on the OnLive service, I should have it ready in the next day or so.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.