cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oblivion

grimreality
Grafter

Oblivion

Finally got the wife to let me get a new computer and now have Oblivion.  It was a bit of a wait to get but it is worth it.  Maxed out resolution and absolutely no issues.
Wondering if anyone has found anything that they want to share about the game?
5 REPLIES 5
James
Grafter

Re: Oblivion

I got this a couple weeks back, but haven't really had much of a play with it.
In honesty I got lost and couldn't find a way out in the early stages because my torch died.  I'm rubbish! Cheesy
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Been playing the game off and on for a few months (sidetracked by Lara Crofts backside but that’s another story  ;)), and I think it’s amazing.
My advice, don’t treat this as a game treat it as an exploration, take your time and enjoy. As soon as you can get enough money to buy a horse, the game is much better after that as travel is faster. Explore everything as the stuff you can find is almost infinite and always worth something in barter or sold. Don’t bother to level up to much as all this does is level up your opponents and fighting just gets harder.
If you find an opponent that is to strong (cheat!  ::)) and you are playing on a medium level or above pop into the options and move the slider down a bit, defeat the opponent and then move the slider back again. I know it’s a work around but I am an old guy and don’t have the hack and slash skills of my younger generation (that’s my excuse anyway)  ;D.
The scenery is amazing on a big screen and although I only run at 1024*768 on a 19” CRT I have a fantastic save point where I am sitting astride my horse on top of a snow covered mountain looking over the valley with the city in the distance it just looks so real. Watch out for the dear, wolves and other creatures that abound in the landscape. As I said just enjoy it and play at your pace it’s not a race just a whole load of fun.
Good hunting, regards, P.
jaythe0ne
Grafter

I've got this on the 360 and i've got about 35 game hours under my belt on this one, the thing i've found about it is that there are essentially 2 games here, you have the main game where you have to go and close the oblivion gates and the side quests where you join all the guilds and aim to master them all. I found that if you ignore the Oblivion gates side of the game totally, i.e. don't goto Kvatch, and just concentrate on doing the other stuff, cause as soon as you close the first Oblivion gate you open all kinds of hell loose on the landscape.
There are 4 main Guilds,
Fighters Guild
Thieves Guild
Mages Guild
Dark Brotherhood
As well as the Combat arena.
Aside from that theres the whole character creation and  skill leveling side of the game. And yes whilst its true that as you level the characters around you level aswell and get more difficult to kill, theres something to be said about leveling your stealth skill so that you can creep up on someone and kill them with one blow because you get a x6 bonus, or leveling you magic so you can cast chamelion on yourself and run around undetected.
Then theres the additional content, well worth the downloads, a cool bit of armor for your horse, a tower that has a vast vault to store all your goods - aswell as an alchamy table that boosts your skill by 10%, mine is 100% and when i stand at the table it goes to 110%.
Knights of the nine and Shivering isles i have yet to install, but will play soon.
I could go on for hours talking about this game, but the best piece of advice given to me was to make a save just before leaving the tunnels for the first time, so you can go back and change you race skills etc, if you get bored of or can't play with that particular character type.
grimreality
Grafter

I have formatted the pc as Vista was really rubbing me the wrong way.  Will start again but this time I am setting up the character with different traits so he does not level up so fast
TomP
Grafter

Fantastic game. Love it to bits. But my poor laptop can't come anywhere near running it in a decent fashion. So I have only played bits and pieces.
Just make sure if you join the Brotherhood, you do decide to enjoy some blood. Makes the game very interesting  Wink